Friday, April 13, 2012

As For You...

John 21:15-25

If you are a teacher or a parent of more than one child, you have probably heard something like, "Why does she get to...?"  If you have worked with children long enough, you know that what is fair doesn't always seem fair to everyone.  That is because each child is different and each child responds differently to encouragement and discipline.  Each child excels in different skills and each child has different interests.  However, each child also demands fairness.  But wisdom tells us that we need to respond to each situation as it presents itself.  In the verses I am looking at today tells of an encounter Peter had with Jesus that sounds similar; please read John 21:15-25.

I once worked with a teacher that would say to children when they were pointing out another classmates faults, "Imagine how much more you could do if you focused on yourself instead of focusing on everyone else in the room."  Since this was said to first graders, the idea behind that sentence was often lost to the listener.  I can't help but wonder if that is something God wants to say to me at times.  There are times where I just want fairness in my human view, but God is saying to me, "What is it to you what I do with them.  Just focus on you and Me.  Just follow Me."

A thought that I have this morning, is how we are told in Ephesians that we are unified as one body in Christ.  So, does that mean that because we are unified we can know each other's business with God?  I don't think so!  This may sound backwards, but I believe that when we are focused on our own relationship with God and focused on how God wants to grow ourselves we actually become more unified.  This is because as we grow and understand that God wants to do an amazing work in us, we become less concerned with whether or not something is fair and what God is doing with someone else.  When we are less concerned about our human understanding of fairness, we can truly be more unified with one another.  We can honestly celebrate and have joy with another believer when God does something amazing in their life and we can truly mourn with them in their grief.  As we grow in Christ, the more confident we are in our relationship with Christ.  So, unity in Christ isn't so much about being concerned about someone else's experiences with God as it is being focused on our own relationship with God.  We can remember Christ's words to Peter when He said, "As for you, follow me."  That is to be our focus...following Christ.

Where is your focus today?

This post is linked with Faith Filled Friday.


2 comments:

  1. "...I believe that when we are focused on our own relationship with God and focused on how God wants to grow ourselves we actually become more unified."
    Yes! So do I! I think it's key. And this makes me think of the illustration about how an orchestra gets tuned up. If they try to tune themselves with each other, it won't work and they'll end up with discord, but if they each tune themselves to the same pitch fork, they'll match up perfectly!
    Thanks for good reminders I needed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We definitely need to be tuning to God! :) Thanks for visiting!

      Delete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I love hearing your feedback.