Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Breath of Life

Genesis 2:4-7

Over the last few days, I have looked at the account of creation in Genesis.  The theme that has come back to me on Monday and Tuesday is the greatness of God.  The main character of this story is God and we can read through the story with total amazement at His ability to create something so wonderful out of nothing.  We are not given a lot of details on how He did it, but the verses I am looking at tells us a little more about how He created humans.  Please read Genesis 2:4-7.

I want to look back for a moment at Genesis 1:26:  "Then God said, 'Let us make human beings in our image, to be like us.'"  Isn't it an amazing thought that God made us to be in His image.  Once again, we don't know entirely what that means; however, we know that He created us to be like Him.  Meditate on that thought for a moment because that is an incredible thought!  God created us to be like Him.  Think about our God whose creativity is beyond our ability to comprehend and who could have created anything but He wanted to create us to be like Him.  He didn't have to create duplicity because He was out of ideas, He created us this way because that is what He desired.  Does that already speak a truth of intimacy to you?

God is still the star of the story; however, He begins to share the story with us.  I don't mean that He makes the story all about us because the story is still His story; however, He puts us into His story.  When He created us with such intimacy, we were invited into His story.  It seriously touches my heart to think that our Creator, who is so great and powerful, wants a relationship with us.  It is incredibly humbling because He is so awesome.  Notice what Genesis 2:7 says about how man was created:  "Then the Lord God formed the man from the dust of the ground. He breathed the breath of life into the man’s nostrils, and the man became a living person."  He breathed the breath of life into us!  Notice that it wasn't until God breathed into man that he became a living person.

The idea of God breathing His breath in us is also a very intimate thought.  What is so wonderful is that He could have created us differently, but He wanted us to be like Him and made us living through His breath.  Isaiah 42:5 says, "God, the Lord, created the heavens and stretched them out. He created the earth and everything in it. He gives breath to everyone, life to everyone who walks the earth."  His breath is what gives us life.  Don't you see that means that we exist because of His breath of life?  Your Creator's breath is in you and that is what gives you life.  No one can give or take away your life; only God decides whether or not you will have His breath in you.  Don't forget, this is His story.  But, you are a part of the great and Almighty God's story.  How amazing!

What does it mean to you that you have God's breath in you?

This post is linked with iFellowship Blog Hop, Winsome Wednesdays, and Word Filled Wednesdays.


12 comments:

  1. this is beautiful and inspiring! I love that God desires to be intimate with us! We can have a personal relationship with our Creator... love that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It amazes me every time I think about it! Thanks for visiting, Jenilee!

      Delete
  2. Hi Sharon - for me, God's word is His breath in me and the more I want of His breath the more I must read His word, it is life giving.
    Great post. Thank you for linking it up
    God bless
    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome! I have to agree...the more I spend in His Word, the more I want.

      Delete
  3. Wow! I absolutely love this! What a powerful thing to ponder... which is just what I'm going to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for visiting Heather. It is powerful to think about, isn't it!

      Delete
  4. "Invited into His story." His breath in me! Thinking of it this way... leaves me... nearly breathless! Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is overwhelming when I stop and consider that created us for relationship with Him. That sometimes stops me in my tracks. I love how you wrote that "we were invited into His story". How thankful I am for that.

    Blessings and love,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am thankful, too. It is a beautiful thing to think about.

      Delete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I love hearing your feedback.