Wednesday, April 11, 2012

He Comes Familiar

John 21:1-14

I remember once picking up my dad from work with my mom and even though it was night I knew it was him coming out the door.  I couldn't see his face, but I recognized his silhouette and his gait.  I even remember telling my mom that I knew it was him because he was the only person I knew that walked that way.  We each have traits or idiosyncrasies that allow others to recognize us.  The closer we know someone, the less of the entire picture we need to see that it is them.  Some of that is because we have enough shared experiences that allow us to see each other in many different lights.  Sometimes those things are personal; something that only a close friend or spouse would know about us.  Have you ever thought of the fact that we can have a relationship with God that is so intimate that we can recognize some very personal things that are shared between us and Him?  Have you ever considered that God sometimes comes to us in a familiar way so we can recognize Him?  Please read John 21:1-14.

When we are just looking at this as an isolated story of another appearance of Jesus to His disciples after His resurrection, there doesn't seem to be anything happening except that Jesus performed a miracle with the fish and He served them fish and bread.  However, there is another time when some of these same disciples had their first encounter with Christ that was very similar.  Please read Luke 5:1-11.  Aside from the fact that it was amazing in both stories that Jesus created a miracle in catching fish, I'm sure that is why John was able to declare so confidently that it was the Lord on the beach.  This was familiar to him, He had a similar encounter with Christ.

No two encounters with Jesus are ever the same; however, I do believe that Jesus comes familiar to us so that we can recognize Him.  And the more we seek Him out and spend time with Him, the more familiar He is to us so that we can see Him near us without seeing the entire picture.  I love what it says in verse 12, "None of the disciples dared to ask him, 'Who are you?' They knew it was the Lord."  This makes me wonder if Jesus looked different than how they were used to seeing him, but they knew Him in other ways.  They didn't just need the physical attributes to recognize their Lord.  We can know, too.  God has a way of letting us know who He is in a very personal way.

Do you recognize when God comes to you in a familiar way?

This post is linked with Winsome Wednesday, iFellowship Blog Hop, and Word Filled Wednesday.


2 comments:

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I love hearing your feedback.