Saturday, April 21, 2012

What Was I Thinking!?

I have been working out at a gym for about 6 months; however, for the last two months I haven't gone in every day as I did when I started out.  I had trouble for a couple of weeks because of migraines, then I got sick and it took all my energy just to get to the gym on top of working.  So, even though I've gone for the last couple of months, I'm not in as good of shape as I was prior.  I'm working back up to it, though I know it will not happen over night.  In an effort to help myself in this endeavor, I decided to join my friend for a class this morning that was a combination of Pilates and Yoga stretching (without all the religion behind it - strictly a workout class).  I went in knowing it would be a tough workout, but I figured with all the cardio and weight stuff I've been doing I would be okay.  I assumed way too much of myself!  About halfway through the class, I was beginning to wonder if I was going to make it through.  Even though I've been doing weights, this class had me working on some muscle groups that just the weight machines alone doesn't do.  And to make it even worse, there was a much older gentleman in the class that was doing all the poses, stretches, and strength exercises way better than me!  My weight machines just did not have me prepared for this hour long torture (of which I'm planning to do again - twice a week).

Our spiritual walk can be the same way.  We can be spending time with God daily and reading in His Word daily and growing!  But sometimes we are thrown into a difficult situation that exercises our faith in a way that we have never done before and it can be very painful.  But the thing is, we can get through that exercise because Christ is with us and will help us through it.  Hebrews 2:18 (NLT) says, "Since He Himself has gone through suffering and testing, he is able to help us when we are being tested."  Our faith may be tested unlike it has been tested before, but think of the amazing work God is doing in your heart as a result.  You are exercising and growing into an oak of righteousness (Isaiah 61:3) full of endurance (James 1:4).  That is a promise to hold on to during the trials.

Is your faith being exercised in a new way?

This post is linked with Spiritual Sundays.

10 comments:

  1. I love the correlation here between working out and our relationship with God. It does take great work and discipline but builds muscle!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Shanda...sometimes the workout is difficult, but so worth it in the end!

      Delete
  2. First time to visit your blog through Spiritual sundays. For me, my faith is tested everyday and I need God in everyarea of my life.
    About my physical condition, I really need to train also, have to prioritize,but I have a lot of have to do list and at the end I am neglecting my physical body. Good to be reminded of you:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so enjoyed your post. I have just come through a time of
    testing. It was very hard but he was with me all the way

    p.s. I understand the migraine thing too. I am battling cluster headaches that are a new challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for visiting! It is good to be able to look back and see how God was with us through the tough times, isn't it?

      Delete
  4. I've read so much today about testing that I'm wondering what God is preparing me for. You are right, God will help us through whatever we are facing. I love that encouragement on a Monday morning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is good to start the week with some encouragement!

      Delete
  5. Good analogy. We need to stay in shape - physically, mentally, and especially spiritually. Thank you for sharing.
    Blessings,
    Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Charlotte! I even think when the spiritual gets out of shape it is hard to keep the rest (physical and mental) in shape.

      Delete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I love hearing your feedback.