Monday, April 23, 2012

Who Do You Trust?

Genesis 3:1-7

Have you ever known someone who was very trustworthy and for some reason something happened where you struggled to trust them?  I know I struggled with that more when I was a young adult and that distrust stemmed from a betrayal in childhood by someone who I should have been able to trust.  Distrust can have many roots, but the result is often walls being put up between people.  So many of us know the story of Adam and Eve and the original sin; however, today I would like to look at this story from the idea of who they were choosing to trust in their moment of sin.  Please read Genesis 3:1-7.

The Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil becomes a central piece in this story.  The question that I have heard the most from people I know is why would God even put that tree there in the first place?  If He didn't want them to even touch the tree, why did He put it within their grasp?  I've heard anger from people saying that if God was so loving, He would have never placed temptation in front of them like that.  James 1:13 says, "And remember, when you are being tempted, do not say, 'God is tempting me.'  God is never tempted to do wrong, and He never tempts anyone else."  If God never tempts anyone else, what was going on here?  God was providing a choice - to obey or not obey.  God wanted our worship to be one of choice, which meant that He was risking the chance of our disobedience and lack of worship.  So, God was risking vulnerability.

The thing that strikes me in this story is the fact that Adam and Eve had a relationship with their Creator.  He visited them in the garden and they enjoyed each other's company.  They knew they could trust Him, yet something happened when the serpent visited on the day that changed the world.  The serpent approached Eve with misinformation, and she caught it and corrected him.  The problem was that he answered with more lies and this time she chose to believe his lies over God's truth.  This weighs heavy on my heart because when I truly sit and think about when I sin, at that moment I am choosing to trust the immediate results rather than trust what God says about sin.  At that moment I am thinking more about my pleasure than I am thinking about my amazing Creator.  Why would I do that when I know my Heavenly Father is the only One who always speaks truth?

We can trust that God wants what is best for us.  We can trust that He will help us in our temptations.  We can trust that He loves us and only tells the truth.  We can trust that He is greater than anyone else.  We can trust our God.

How does your trust in God help you in your temptations?

This post is linked with Sharing His Beauty and Monday Musings.

2 comments:

  1. Sharon...good thoughts on trusting God and believing He always knows what is best for us because He does. Thank you for sharing this at What Joy Is Mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for visiting! I have been enjoying being a part of your community!

      Delete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I love hearing your feedback.