Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Decisions, Decisions

Genesis 12:10-20

Do you ever hear a story and wonder what would have happened if people had done something different?  I have to admit there are times in my own life where I wonder what would have happened if I would have made a different choice.  That is because there were times when I made a critical decision that I hadn't really prayed about.  I look back at those times and wonder if I would have made the same choice had I prayed about it and asked for wisdom.  With certain situations, I have no doubt that I would have made a different decision and the outcome would have been better.  The story I am looking at today is one that makes me wonder what would have happened if Abraham responded to his situation differently.  Please read Genesis 12:10-20.

Due to a famine in Canaan, Abraham was forced to move to Egypt where they still had plenty of food and water.  As they approached Egypt, notice what Abraham asked Sarah to do - lie about who she was.  He asked her to tell the Egyptians that she was his sister rather than be honest and tell them she was his wife.  This was because he was afraid that the Egyptians would kill him so they could have Sarah who was very beautiful.  I want to stop here because there are a few things that stick out at me that convicts me.  First, God doesn't want us to lie.  Second, God wants us to trust in Him and His protection.

I want to be careful with what I am saying next because we need to remember that just because something isn't written in the Bible doesn't mean it didn't happen.  But, based on Abraham's decision I wonder if he prayed to God for wisdom on how to best handle his concerns about the Egyptians.  These verses do not indicate whether or not he prayed.  I just think that knowing how important truth is to God, I don't think that God would have directed Abraham to lie about who Sarah was.  It appears that Abraham wanted to fix the situation he was in on his own.  Instead, he ended up offending the Egyptians and got himself kicked out of the country.

I am convicted as I read this because I look at my own life and wonder how many times I have done the same. How many times have I looked at my situation with my human eyes and "fixed" it on my own before even allowing God to step into my problems.  Now I look at some of those "fixes" and I am still paying for them!  What would have happened if I would have prayed and asked God to help?  What would have happened if I would have asked for wisdom?  What would have happened if I would have trusted the truth that God knows what is best?  No matter how big or little the issue is, we can seek God for help.  The wonderful thing is that we also have God's grace.  Even though I am still facing consequences for decisions made years ago I know that as I seek God for wisdom and help now, He shows me what the next step should be.

Do you seek God as you make decisions?  Do you trust that He will help you no matter how impossible as situation make look?

This post is linked with On Your Heart Tuesday and Soli Deo Gloria.

2 comments:

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I love hearing your feedback.