Thursday, May 3, 2012

Don't Be A Fossil

Genesis 7

A few years ago, my mom treated my family to a two week vacation in Arizona.  In two weeks, we put 3,000 miles on the rental mini-van just in the state of Arizona!  My step-dad has lived in Arizona all his life and he wanted us to see as much as we could of the state he loves.  One place we went to visit was the Petrified Forest National Park, where we saw fossilized trees in the middle of the Painted Desert.  The guides at the park couldn't give an exact reason for the trees to become petrified except that there had to be some kind of catastrophic flood where the waters came through the area with incredible force.  Ever since then, I always think of that place in the middle of nowhere when I read through the account of the flood.  Please read through Genesis 7.

As I wrote yesterday about the importance of obedience, I was struck again this morning by the sentence found in verse 5, "So Noah did everything as the LORD commanded him."  That is quite a statement!  But then as I continued to read I noticed that verse 6 tells us that Noah was 600 years old when the flood came.  Six hundred years old!  That is very humbling, isn't it?  I know that God shortened our life so we age differently than Noah aged; however, at 600 years, he had to be feeling his age!  But when God told him to build this massive ark (with no help from technology) he didn't say "I'm getting too old for this kind of work."  When God told him to get in the ark after gathering all the animals, Noah didn't say, "That is too much work for me and my family."  We are told that at the age of 600 years old that he did everything that God commanded of him.

Have you ever noticed that we humans like to use age as a reason for protest to do what is asked of us?  We are either to young to accomplish something or we are getting to old to have the energy to do it.  There seems to be a small window of a few years in our human existence where we can be wise enough and have enough energy to do the work that God has given us.  But God doesn't care about age.  God also doesn't care about years of experience.  If God has told us what we are to do, we have to trust that God has given us everything we need to do it.  2 Peter 1:3 says, "By His divine power, God has given us everything we need for living a godly life. We have received all of this by coming to know Him, the One who called us to Himself by means of his marvelous glory and excellence."  Yesterday, I wrote how we learn how to obey in our hearts as we get closer to God and this verse tells us that we received everything we need to obey God by getting closer to Him.  We can live this life the way God wants us to live no matter how old we are or what stage in life we are at because it is not by our power, it is by God's divine power!

Are you willing to tap into the power God has in store for you to live out this life His way?

This post is linked with Thought Provoking Thursday.

2 comments:

  1. I think Noah is lucky because it seems like living life God's way gets easier and easier once you take that first step. I'm sure I will be a lot older when I fully develop those good habits and break old ones. However, I am young and starting to follow him more and more. God is good and you are right, He is Powerful! Thanks for keeping my focus on the Lord!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just keep following Him no matter what is happening around you. He is faithful and is always with you. It is following Him through everything that develops our faith even more. Thank you so much for visiting and commenting!

      Delete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I love hearing your feedback.