Thursday, May 10, 2012

God's Plans

Genesis 11:1-9

I can appreciate people making plans.  In certain situations I think planning is essential; however, I have also learned that I can plan something and watch it fall apart.  I have also made plans and watched them be fulfilled.  I also have made plans and had God change my heart and make new plans.  When I was in high school, I knew I wanted to be a music therapist and made plans on how I could reach that goal.  I graduated from college with a Bachelor of Music in Music Therapy and began my career.  My original plan was to be a music therapist as a life-long career; however, God had a different plan.  When I was pregnant with my third child, my husband was called into ministry and we moved.  I quit working since I had three children three years old and under and had no idea that would change my career as I knew it.  I now am a pastor's wife who works as a ministry assistant at our church and I know that I am right where God wants me for now.  I think the key with making plans is asking God to reveal what His plans are so we can walk in step with Him.  Please read Genesis 11:1-9.

As I was reading these verses this morning, I noticed how a theme in this story was the fact that the people of the city of Babel were focused on making a name for themselves.  They did end up making it into the most popular book in the world, but not for the reasons they had set out and planned.  I can really relate to this because it seems that I am often fighting the human tendency to make a name for myself rather than focusing on what God wants me to do.  I don't need to worry about what accomplishments the world thinks is great because I have a Creator whom I should be pleasing.  But, every now and then I find myself slipping back into the trap of pleasing the desire for attention.

Proverbs 16:9 (NIV) says,  "We can make our plans, but the Lord determines our steps."  As we see in this story, our plans will never over-step God's plans.  Proverbs 16:1-3 (NLT) tells us what God is looking at, "We can make our own plans, but the Lord gives the right answer. People may be pure in their own eyes, but the Lord examines their motives. Commit your actions to the Lord, and your plans will succeed."  We can plan all we want and the end isn't what God is looking at; He is looking at our motives.  Why are we making the plans?  But we are also told in these verses that when we commit our plans to God, we will find success in those plans.  This is because we are giving our plans over to God and letting Him make the plans for us.  When our plans are God's plans they will succeed.

What is motivating you in life?  Do your plans match God's plans?

This post is linked with Thought Provoking Thursday and The Grace Cafe.

2 comments:

  1. It's so easy to get sucked into the whirlpool of desire to make a name for ourselves because the world around us keeps pushing us toward it. Because I know this, sometimes I think I am too circumspect, too hesitant to make my plans, or afterward to worry that they overstepped His. Thank you for the good balance in this post. It's timely for me right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes it is so easy to want to make a name for ourselves. In researching the NT writers, I'm learning just how little they desired glory, but wanted to give glory to God.

    Blessings to you, Sharon, and thank you for linking up this week.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I love hearing your feedback.