Friday, May 11, 2012

Our Genealogy

Genesis 11:10-32

What is the story of your family?  Do you know anything about where your family is from?  I know that my great-grandfather was a farmer in Iowa, which is where my grandpa grew up.  He decided to move to the city and settled there.  He got married and had three children, with his youngest being my mom.  When someone in my grandpa's family paid someone to do a genealogy of his family, he found out that he was a distant (very distant) cousin of Henry Ford.  My grandma's (my mother's mom) side of the family had an expert trace our genealogy and traced us all the way back to Pocahontas.  I have no idea if that is correct, but it sure is interesting.  Each and every one of us could probably find someone famous in their family if we traced back far enough; some people don't have to go back very far.  Today, we are going to look at the family line that Abraham came from; please read Genesis 11:10-32.

I have to admit that I did the math and was amazed to find out that Shem was still alive when Abram (Abraham) was born!  I know that it doesn't seem all that interesting to most of you to look at the family line of Shem; however, I want you to consider how important this was to the Jews.  This was how they understood who they were and where they came from.  This was how they traced their story back to the beginning.  This also showed how they were part of the inheritance of God's promises.  That was very important.

But that makes me think about who we are and the family to which we belong.  We have our physical family that tells the world where we came from; however, when we are in Christ we learn that we are a part of a spiritual family that supersedes where we were born and who our physical family is.  We learn that it doesn't matter what we grew up to believe, it is what we learn to believe about who we are in the family of God.  Please read Galatians 3:23 - 4:7 to see how we are heirs to all the promises that God gave to Abraham's family.  I want to highlight a few verses found in this passage.  Galatians 3:26 says, "For you are all children of God through faith in Christ Jesus."  When we believe that our salvation comes through Jesus, we become children of God.  Galatians 4:5 says, "God sent Him to buy freedom for us who were slaves to the law, so that He could adopt us as his very own children."  Reading through these verses we see how we become heirs to the promises that were given to Abraham, which is amazing!  We need to always remember who we are in Christ rather than focus on who the world wants to tell us who we are.

Do you believe who you are in Christ?

This post is linked with Faith Filled Friday and State of the Heart.

3 comments:

  1. I found you through Faith Filled Friday. Thanks for a very interesting post; I love genealogy. We are currently studying the book of James in my Sunday school class and it amazes me how he grew up with his brother Jesus, but didn't believe until after Jesus died.
    Feel free to check out my page and link this devotion there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just finished studying James with my small group! It was interesting to learn more about his life and it helped me understand the book of James even better. Thank you for stopping by! I am looking forward to visiting your blog.

      Delete
  2. I enjoyed this post so much! My post entitled "Encouragement" sort of relates a little bit. Just something I was thinking about one day. It's amazing to think about how we are all here for a reason and, while we all have different roles to play, it's all for the same goal...to further God's kingdom. It all works together beautifully, doesn't it?
    Christa

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I love hearing your feedback.