Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Promises

Genesis 9:1-16

I love rainbows!  In fact, when it is raining I like to look out the window to see if there is any sunlight peeking through the clouds so I can find a rainbow.  I am willing to stand out in the rain if that means that I will get a glimpse of a rainbow.  One of the reason I enjoy them so much is because they are such a spontaneous show of creation.  We can be near the end of a storm and then we get blessed by such simple beauty.  Another reason why I enjoy rainbows so much is because of what they represent.  Please read Genesis 9:1-16 to see what God promised and how the rainbow represents that promise.

Noah and his family had finally gotten off the ark after the ground dried up.  Yesterday, I looked at how Noah's sacrifice was pleasing to God and that God had resolved that He would never again will kill all life with a flood. In these verses, we see that God spoke this promise to Noah and his family.  But He didn't just speak the promise, He told Noah that He was putting the rainbow in the sky to act as a sign of this promise or covenant with all living things.  When I think about that, it makes me wonder what it was like for Noah and his sons whenever they saw the rainbow.  I can't help but think that it caused them to be thankful for that promise.  I know whenever I see a rainbow, it reminds me how God always keeps His promises.

Not only does God always keep His promises, but we know that we are heirs to His promises through Christ.  Please look at what 2 Corinthians 1:19-22 (NLT) says about God's promises:
For Jesus Christ, the Son of God, does not waver between “Yes” and “No.” He is the one whom Silas, Timothy, and I preached to you, and as God’s ultimate “Yes,” He always does what he says. For all of God’s promises have been fulfilled in Christ with a resounding “Yes!” And through Christ, our “Amen” (which means “Yes”) ascends to God for His glory. It is God who enables us, along with you, to stand firm for Christ. He has commissioned us, and He has identified us as his own by placing the Holy Spirit in our hearts as the first installment that guarantees everything He has promised us.
How amazing it is to know that Jesus doesn't waver - He is God's ultimate "yes."  Isn't wonderful to know that He does everything He says He will do?  But there is more in these verses that brings me back to the rainbow.  God placed the rainbow in the sky as a sign of His covenant with all living things, but according to these verses He has something that is a sign of His promises we have in Christ.  We see that He put the Holy Spirit in our hearts that is a guarantee of His promise to us.  I love thinking about that!  Not only are those in Christ blessed to have the power of the Holy Spirit working in them, but He is also a sign of God's promise to us!  When we believe and accept the gift of forgiveness through Christ, we are given the Holy Spirit; it is like God placed a rainbow in our hearts.

Do you believe that through Christ, you have the Holy Spirit in you as a sign of God's promise?

This post is linked with On Your Heart Tuesday and Soli Deo Gloria.

6 comments:

  1. i love that - a rainbow in our hearts....thanks for that image!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a great image to me! Thank you for visiting, Kendal!

      Delete
  2. I was going to say the same thing - I love the concept of a rainbow in our hearts!

    I also like how you put that Jesus is the ultimate "Yes."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love how God put a sign of His promise in our hearts! That is amazing.

      Delete
  3. I was reminded of this passage too as I reflected on what I want most this Mother's Day (posted today). God's patience with us often astounds me and I am so amazed He would give such a beautiful reminder of His promise to never again wipe out life as He did during the flood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. God's patience with us is truly amazing. Thank you for visiting!

      Delete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I love hearing your feedback.