Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Escape To the Mountains

Genesis 19:17-30

Have you ever been in a tough situation but God set up circumstances so that you could leave?  I've been there!  I didn't necessarily want to leave because I liked where I was at despite the tough circumstance; however, God made it clear that it was time to go.  He provided a way out and provision, yet it was still difficult to leave and a little scary.  In the end, I do not regret following God's direction because new opportunities opened up that I would have never imagined before.  His escape brought me to a new place in my relationship with Him and strengthened me.  All week, I've been looking at the story of Sodom and Gomorrah and I want to take one last look today at Lot's reaction to his escape.  Lot was given directions on where to go, but he looked at his escape as his doom.  Please read Genesis 19:17-30.

As I read through these verses, the first thought I had was how patient God is wth us!  God is all-knowing and wants what is best for us; however, when He offers what is best we often question His choice.  We ask for something different because we are sure we know better than God what is best for us.  Yet, He still is patient and continues to provide even though we complain.  In these verses, notice how the angels directed Lot to escape to the mountains.  But Lot didn't like that option and asked if he could run to the little village of Zoar.  He was given permission to go to Zoar; however, he was afraid of the people there so he ended up running to the mountains anyway.  God knew that escaping to the mountains was best, but He allowed Lot to learn it the hard way.

We may not always like the direction God gives us, but He is always with us and we can trust His direction.  When I think about it, it seems as if Lot still didn't fully understand the danger he was in which is probably why he complained about the escape God had provided for him.  Escaping to the mountains seemed like inevitable doom to Lot, but he is not the only one who has ever felt that way.  Sometimes God tells us to leave the life we have now and to run to the hills and we cannot understand why.  But, it is those times in running to the mountains that God does amazing work in our hearts.  When we are secluded with Him, we listen to Him and experience Him in a new way.  If God is putting something before you that seems too great to bear, remember that He knows what is best for you.  Be encouraged because you can do all things that God asks of you through the power of Jesus Christ (Philippians 4:13).  We are always better off following His direction right away rather than making things even more difficult.

Is God telling you to escape to the mountains?

This post is linked with iFellowship Blog Hop and Word-Filled Wednesday.

4 comments:

  1. This post was quite enlightening to me. What I've been going through I've been assuming is a trial, a test, a lesson. But perhaps it is God giving me a way out of the situation I was in. I'll be doing a lot of thinking and praying today - thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not always clear is it? Keep praying for direction from God...He will always take us in the best direction.

      Delete
  2. Very thought provoking post.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I love hearing your feedback.