Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Living Like a Promise Fulfilled

Genesis 24:1-8

It has been such a blessing to slow down and take the time to read through the stories in Genesis.  Every time I have read Genesis, I read through it as if I am reading another book; it is so narrative that I forget that I need to sit back and reflect on what I am reading.  Going through and really thinking about the stories I am reading has been a wonderful experience and I hope it has been good for those of you who have been patient enough to follow along.  We are now nearing the last few chapters of Abraham's life in Genesis and I have been so overwhelmed by his life of complete faith.  Today, the verses I am reading once again reminds me that I have so much growing to do in my faith walk.  Come, be challenged along with me and read Genesis 24:1-8.

Abraham decided that it was time to find a wife for Isaac; however, this would take great effort because he didn't want Isaac to marry a Canaanite woman.  I think about this and how old Isaac was by this point in his life - he was around 30 years old, if not older.  This makes me think of how Abraham trusted God in everything, including waiting for a wife for his son.  He knew that the only way the promise would be fulfilled was if Isaac was married; however, settling for a Canaanite woman was not an option.  Abraham allowed God to say who Isaac's wife would be.  One thing Abraham knew for sure is that he wanted a wife who worshiped God so Isaac wouldn't be led astray from the rituals of the Canaanites.  So, Abraham sent a servant to his father's home land to find a wife for Isaac.

This would be a long journey, and the servant was concerned that he would not be able to find a wife for his master's son.  The servant expressed his concerns about finding a wife and asked if he should take Isaac there if he was not successful.  Abraham's answer was interesting and one full of great faith: "'No!' Abraham responded.  'Be careful never to take my son there.  For the Lord, the God of heaven, who took me from my father’s house and my native land, solemnly promised to give this land to my descendants.'"  Abraham lived in a way as if the promise was already fulfilled.  He was not going to leave the land promised to him and he was not going to let his son leave the land either.  There was no going back to where he once was; there was only looking forward.

We are part of the promise for a better life.  As I considered this a little yesterday, think about how Abraham's example is so important for us to follow.  Do we live as though we are staking our claim in our heavenly promise?  Do we continue looking forward toward the promise that lays before us, or do we long to go back to where we once were?  Are we putting our foot down and claiming that promise for our family and refusing to go back to the life we had before Christ got a hold of our hearts?  This is real and this promise is forever.  Just as Abraham allowed that promise to dictate how he would live his life; we are to also live in a way that shows we are a part of the promise.  James 1:21 (NLT) says, "So get rid of all the filth and evil in your lives, and humbly accept the word God has planted in your hearts, for it has the power to save your souls."  That word is the promise we have in Christ and it is planted in our hearts.  There is no room for our old human nature and there is no time to look back!

Are you looking forward and living as a promise fulfilled?

This post is linked with On Your Heart Tuesday and Soli Deo Gloria.

12 comments:

  1. looking forward? living like there's a promise? ummmm. no. actually feeling a bit aimless in life. this is a great lesson for me....

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I read the title of your post, tears started flowing. Our God is so faithful to EVERY single promise He makes. I have a constant reminder everyday in my little boy Isaiah. I wrote about it here http://www.counthisblessings.com/2011/10/naming-isaiah-michael.html . Every single time I look at him, I am reminded of God's faithfulness. I don't know if you've studied Isaiah, but it is a beautiful book of God's faithfulness. Loved your post. Thank you !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE the book of Isaiah! Looking forward to reading your post! I'm glad you were blessed!

      Delete
    2. What an amazing post you wrote! Thank you for sharing it with me.

      Delete
    3. Sharon - thank you so much for stopping by and reading my story. When I read your post, I definately knew I wanted to share. And yes, our God, He is faithful, isn't He. Praising God with you.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thank you, Denise. May you be sweetly blessed as well. :)

      Delete
  4. Yes...living as a promise fulfilled...amen. blessings~

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, I just came across your blog by doing a bit of blog-surfing and I'm glad I did! I've added myself as your newest follower, and I hope you'll check out my Christian devotional site as well.

    Have a blessed day!

    In Christ,
    Dakota - A Look at Life from a Deerstand

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dakota!

      I'm glad you found my blog! I'm looking forward to reading yours! :)

      Delete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I love hearing your feedback.