Thursday, June 28, 2012

Praise For What God Has Done

Genesis 24:21-53

Each and every week, we have an opportunity for corporate worship at our local church service.  However, what happens in our hearts throughout the week.  Are we ever brought to praise God because of the beautiful world He created?  Are we ever brought to praise God because of His love and faithfulness.  Are we ever brought to praise God because of who He is?  What about when God answers our prayers in the affirmative?  We should be brought to praise and thankfulness because when we pray a big prayer and see God step in we know that He is all-powerful and He cares about us.  This week, I have been looking at the story in Genesis when Abraham sent his servant to find a wife for Isaac.  The servant prayed a big prayer and asked God to show him who Isaac's wife should be; let's look at his reaction when God answered his prayer in Genesis 24:21-53.

In these verses, we see that Abraham's servant had the opportunity to pray to God for himself and he saw an immediate answer to his prayer.  I'm sure if the servant had any doubt about God, they were wiped away in that moment.  Have you ever had a moment like that where you came to know God in a new way because of the way He answered prayer or met a need.  Notice the servant's reaction when he realized that God had answered his prayer.  He bowed low and gave God praise for what he had done.  When Laban, Rebekah's brother, heard the story he knew that Rebekah would need to go back with Abraham's servant.  Upon hearing this news, the servant began to worship God again.  What wonderful confirmation of God's faithfulness and care this servant experienced in this moment.

Abraham had told his servant that God would make him successful on this mission; however, hearing it and experiencing it are two different things.  It reminds me of a time when my friend called me and my husband and asked us to help them move a swing set from their neighbor's yard into their yard.  She explained that she asked God to give them the swing set only if the neighbors were no longer using it.  Later that day, the neighbor came over and asked them if they would like the swing set.  I was so amazed by that story!  But I had been wishing we could afford to buy a swing set as well and I never thought of asking God for one.  So I prayed that if there was someone in our neighborhood that wasn't using their swing set that God would put it on their heart to give it to us.  The next day the lady who lived next to our church came into the church office (which was across the street from our house) and asked my husband if there was anyone in the church that would like her swing set.  I was amazed and praised God and began telling people the story of what God had done.  I had heard of God's care and power through my friend's story which brought me to praise God; however, experiencing it myself brought me to a whole new place in my relationship with God and my understanding of His care for me.  Big or little, God wants us to turn to Him for our needs and our response should be one of great praise.

Have you praised God for what He is doing in your life?

This post is linked with the Grace Cafe and Thought Provoking Thursday.

6 comments:

  1. Ah, yes, sure have! There's so much to praise Him for! I love these stories of how God answers specific prayers like this. Early in my Christian life I learned so much from women who shared their amazing little stories of His intervention in situations where they had no other resource and looked to Him. They gave me confidence to look to Him in the same way, and just like with you, I saw Him do these amazing things no "imaginary friend" could do! Thanks for sharing this story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love sharing and hearing God stories!

      Delete
  2. Great post. Thanks for this reminder that God answers prayer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes Sharon...I even praised Him for the hot water in the shower this morning! :) Great post...thanks for sharing. Hopping from Reflections of His Grace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes...to even remember the things we take for granted and praise God.

      Delete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I love hearing your feedback.