Friday, June 15, 2012

A Way Out

Genesis 20

Sometimes when I look back on some decisions I made I wonder how different it would have turned out if I only would have sought God for direction.  It is in those moments that I just wonder what miracle of God I might have missed out on because I tried to fix things my own way.  The story I am looking at is one of those stories in the Bible where I wonder how things would have turned differently.  Today's story will sound similar to one that I read a few weeks ago because it is about Abraham telling a king that Sarah was his sister.  Please read Genesis 20.

In this chapter we read about Abraham and Sarah telling the king of Gerar that they are brother and sister.  As a result, the king took Sarah as his wife.  There are so many things that I find interesting in this story with the first being that Sarah was old!  Her beauty must have been amazing if in her nineties she was attractive to a king.  The other thing I noticed was that they have been through this before and got kicked out of Egypt.  So, in a sense what they decided to do was very risky because they could find themselves being banned from the area.

That isn't what happened because of God's intervention.  God came to King Abimelech in a dream and revealed to him who Sarah was.  God also made everyone in the city infertile as a result of Abimelech taking Sarah as his wife.  He never had the opportunity to sleep with her, so she was sent back to Abraham with many gifts.  Abraham, in turn prayed over the king and healed everyone in the city.  We don't know if Abimelech knew God before this, but I love how God recognized that this was a situation where Abimelech would need intervention and He came to him.  God was not going to let Abimelech fall into sin unknowingly; God warned him and gave him a way out.

We need to remember this because God doesn't want to see us fall into sin, nor does he enjoy seeing us give in to temptation.  James 1:13 (NLT) says, "And remember, when you are being tempted, do not say, 'God is tempting me.'  God is never tempted to do wrong and He never tempts anyone else."  God wants what is best for us and will help us find a way out.  1 Corinthians 10:13 (NLT) says, "The temptations in your life are no different from what others experience.  And God is faithful.  He will not allow the temptation to be more than you can stand.  When you are tempted, He will show you a way out so that you can endure."  I love that!  God wants us to succeed and He will show us how.

Do you look to God for a way out of your temptations?

You are invited to read my post Beautiful Friendships on Seeds of Faith Women.

This post is linked with Faith Filled Friday.

4 comments:

  1. Great message and reminder that there's always a way out of temptation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Laura. Praise God, He gives us a way out!

      Delete
  2. good reminder...good message. hope your day is a good one.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I love hearing your feedback.