Saturday, July 28, 2012

Transformation

2 Corinthians 5:16-19

All this week as part of my regular Bible reading and blogging, I've been looking at Jacob and Laban and their struggles with each other.  That has drawn me to consider things like where we are satisfying our spiritual longing or thirst.  Are we seeking the world to give us tainted water, or are we drawing from the well of Living Water that Jesus promised to all who believe.  It has also brought me to look at the wonderful promises we are given in the Bible of reconciliation with God through Christ.  It is through Jesus's sacrifice and victory over death that we are forgiven and brought into God's family.  God paid the ultimate price so we could be His.  I even challenged myself and my readers to consider what that means in how we live out our lives.  Do we live in a way that shows we believe that we are His?

My family recently went on a wonderful vacation to Washington DC.  One of our favorite Smithsonian museums was the National Museum of Natural History.  We visited three times in our week because there was so much there that we wanted to see!  On our last day in the city, we visited the butterfly exhibit at the Natural History museum.  I asked someone in the exhibit if the butterflies breed themselves, or if they had to continually buy the chrysalis to keep the exhibit going.  He explained that some of them do breed themselves and they don't have to replace them often, but some of the more exotic ones require plants that the FDA doesn't allow in the country so they need to buy them on a continual basis.  That got me thinking about our own spiritual transformation.  I know you have probably heard the idea of a caterpillar transforming into a butterfly is similar to what God does to us when we are in Christ; however, it got me thinking about our spiritual diet.  You see, that transformation doesn't happen unless we have fed on the truth of God.  Without His truth we will spiritually die, but it is feeding on His truth that gives us life.  His truth is found in the Bible and daily reading it is what sustains us.  I can speak from my own experience that the more I read and learn, the more it transforms me living out the truth that I am His.

2 Corinthians 5:17 (NLT) "This means that anyone who belongs to Christ has become a new person. The old life is gone; a new life has begun!"

This post is linked with Spiritual Sundays and Still Saturday.

5 comments:

  1. Wonderful analogy! And it makes me want to research butterflies some more. Thank you for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Transformation is an absolute necessity for growing into our Lord and leaving behind the humanistic formulation that is buried in our present day world. Turning to Him, seeking and focusing on HIM... nothing else counts.

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing else matters but God...how true that is!

      Delete
  3. Beautiful, Sharon. Our spiritual diet can make or break us. And not only the Bible, but other unChristlike books women are reading today. It's important to keep our thoughts on God and the life that is ours than wishing for the "life in the books."

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I love hearing your feedback.