Saturday, July 21, 2012

Better Than Life

Psalm 63

As I was praying this morning, I was overwhelmed by the fact that God gave me life to live here on this planet.  How amazed I am that He wanted me to exist.  But even better, through Christ He has given me the promise of eternal life.  It is amazing that not only did He want me to exist, but He loves me so much that He wants me to live with Him forever.  That truth belongs to you as well - God wanted you to exist and He wants you to believe by faith in the gift of eternal life you have through Jesus.  Think on that truth and be blessed.  But knowing that truth also makes me long to know Him more as well.  Read what David wrote at a time in his life when he was hiding in Psalm 63.

Psalm 63:3 (NLT) says, "Your unfailing love is better than life itself; how I praise you!"  So even better than the fact that we exist is God's unfailing love!  This is so true because His love is what made us exist and His love is what gives us mercy and the hope of eternal life.  In John 15:12-14 (NLT) Jesus says, "This is my commandment: Love each other in the same way I have loved you. There is no greater love than to lay down one’s life for one’s friends. You are my friends if you do what I command."  Jesus did lay His life down for us because He loved us so much that He bore our sin and shame.  He paid our penalty.  But He also conquered death by rising to life on the 3rd day.  It is His victory over death that He shares with us so we can have eternal life with Him.  In the same way, He wants us to be willing to die to ourselves and preferences out of our love for Him.  We should be loving each other, being willing to consider others over ourselves.  This is because God's unfailing love is better than life itself!

Do you believe that God's love is better than life?

This post is linked with Spiritual Sundays.

4 comments:

  1. I like what you wrote...the thoughts you penned. It's pretty interesting to think He planted us to live on the planet and that He's wants to be a part of our existence. The thought blows me away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's amazing, isn't it? He wants us to be with Him!

      Delete
  2. Oh, yes, Sharon...His love is better than life. A wonderful thought to start the week with.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like you I am thankful and amazed that God chose me to be here on this planet at this time. It is really mind boggling when you think about it. God is so good.
    Thank you for sharing.
    Blessings,
    Charlotte

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I love hearing your feedback.