Thursday, July 5, 2012

Like Father, Like Son

Genesis 26:1-11

Every now and then, I will find myself doing or saying something my mother would do or say.  I know I probably do it more than I realize because it is just a part of who I am.  It is even more amazing to me when I see my husband doing or saying something just like his dad would do or say.  Especially when it is something that he never did before but seems to be something that comes as he gets older.  There are mistakes that I have made that I hope my children do not make and I try to warn them about those mistakes.  The story I am looking at today is a similar story that we looked at while we read about the life of Abraham.  Please turn to Genesis 26:1-11.

In these verses, we see that God had spoken to Isaac and warned him not to go into Egypt, but to stay in Gerar.  Does the name Abimelech sound familiar to you?  If you have been following along with me, you may remember that Abilmelech, king of the Philistines almost slept with Sarah and was warned by God in a dream not to sleep with her.  I don't know if this is the same Abimelech because it may be that he was the son of Abimelech or another ruler using the same name; however, it could possibly be the same since we do not know his age when he had his encounter with Abraham.  There are some things to consider no matter who Abimelch is.

First, notice that he looked out his window and noticed Isaac caressing Rebekah.  Just the idea that he looked out his window shows us that they were near his residence.  It could just be that Isaac was given the privilege of proximity to the king because of his wealth, or it could also be because of his father's history with Abimelech.  Either way, we see that Isaac was welcomed enough in the land to be able to be close to the king's residence.  The other thing that catches my attention is the fact that Abimelech reacted strongly to the fact that Isaac could have caused someone to sin greatly.  It makes me wonder if that reaction was so strong because he remembered what God had said to him so many years ago.  Keep in mind, for all of this to be the same Abimelech, he would have to be a very old man at this point.  It could be his son who knew all these stories and learned from his father.

No matter how we look at it, Isaac reacted in a similar situation as his father reacted.  And we also see that whoever Abimelech is, he reacted in the same way as the Abimelech of Abraham's time.  There is something to be said for the way we are raised and the impression we leave for our own children.  I also know that a person could  be raised in a way that was ungodly and they are able to change because of the Holy Spirit working in them when they believe in Jesus.  We don't have to be just like our parents, because the Holy Spirit is changing us to be like Christ.  Our reactions become more Christ-like the more we depend on the power of the Holy Spirit.

Do genetics or the Holy Spirit dictate how you react to your circumstances?

This post is linked with the Grace Cafe and Thought Provoking Thursday.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I love hearing your feedback.