Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Water and Stripes

Genesis 30:25-43

I have had the blessed opportunity to just spend a good portion of Monday with God which was so refreshing and cathartic.  Part of that time was writing yesterday's post, and some of it was going through the study my small group is doing.  I also had some time in prayer and time to listen to what God was telling me and some time in worship.  He broke my heart about things in me that need to change but He also gave me an overwhelming joy and hope in His forgiveness and mercy.  Some of what He did in me was to continue on with the post I wrote yesterday, so if you have not read Monday's post please read it here; it will give you some background to what I am writing about today.  I am continuing to look at Genesis 30:25-43, and even if you read it yesterday please read it again to refresh your mind.

Looking back at the power of faith affecting what we believe about ourselves, I want to consider again the idea of the well from which we draw our water - which should be the Living Water Christ promised to us.  Jacob was building his flock with striped wood by peeling strips of bark off sticks.  He would place these pieces of striped wood in their drinking water where they mated and as a result the sheep would give birth to sheep with streaks and spots.  Because of Laban's dishonesty with their agreement, Jacob did this to claim what was rightfully his.  So, in a sense Jacob was bringing back to him that which belonged to him.

Does the idea of stripes sound at all familiar to you?  Let me take you on a trail of verses for a moment that show so much significance to this idea.  Please read Isaiah 53:4-6, which is prophecy about Jesus, and I want you to pay attention in particular to the wording of the New King James version in verse 5.  "...and by His stripes we are healed."  This word in Hebrew is chabbuwrah and can be translated as wound, blow or stripe.  Jesus was beaten and wounded for us before going on the cross, which included being striped (or whipped).  Please read John 19:1-3.  Also remember that it was on a wooden cross on which Jesus died.  But Jesus spoke of the importance of His death and leaving the earth so that we could receive the Holy Spirit in John 16:5-15.  And it is through all of Christ's sacrifice that we are brought back to the One to whom we belong (1 Peter 2:23-25).  It is through His stripes that we are able to receive the Living Water He promised to all who ask.  How humbling it is that He did all that to claim all that was His!

Be blessed in that truth today.

This post is linked with On Your Heart Tuesdays and Soli Deo Gloria.

6 comments:

  1. i love the conenction you have made between jacob's striped wood and our savior's stripes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kendal. I hope it didn't seem like a stretch; however, that is what it made me think of as I went through my day.

      Delete
  2. I've always loved this story. (I think I say that about them all!) "Through Christ's sacrifice we are brought back to the one we belong." That just makes my heart pound with the blessing of it's truth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! It is almost like my heart skips a beat!

      Delete
  3. Hi Sharon, I'm just stopping by from SGD - you linked up after me :)

    Love that you got to spend some time alone with the Lord, these are the times we long for when he works in our thoughts and heart to change us!

    I'm also an OT lover and love this truth in the Word.

    Enjoyed my visit here today x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you stopped by! Thank you for visiting!

      Delete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I love hearing your feedback.