Wednesday, August 22, 2012

God's Business

Genesis 40

I thoroughly enjoy a good book, and it takes a lot of self control for me to not blast through a story in the Bible!  I love reading, and my family can testify that when I get sucked into a book I don't get anything done.  Give me a good story, and you've got my full attention.  So, when I read the Bible I have to restrain myself so I can soak in what God is saying to me and learn more from the people in the Bible than if I just read through to hear the ending.  Joseph's story is no different; however, you will be happy to know that today I picked up the pace a little because there just was no good way to split up this chapter.  Please, enjoy an entire chapter today (it's not too long) and read Genesis 40.

Yesterday, as we were reading through Joseph's story we learned that Joseph (a prisoner) was put in charge of all the prisoners.  So, when Pharaoh's chief cup bearer and chief baker were in prison they were put in the care of Joseph.  Joseph's great faith is shown once again when he encounters their need for a dream interpreter.  Notice that Joseph didn't say, "I can interpret this dream for you!"  Rather, he said, "Interpreting dreams is God's business."  Isn't that incredible faith?  That statement is challenging me today.  Every morning I spend time in prayer and part of my prayer is that God would enable me to do my job.  However, as I go throughout my day at work or at home am I remembering that this is God's business?

It is a very different mindset to remember that we are merely servants of God and that we are only able to do what we do because of His empowerment.  Ultimately, He is the one that created us with the abilities we have so just that reality alone should remind us that it is because of Him that we can do what we can do.  But then, beyond that there are times that when we rely on His strength and power that we are able to accomplish something beyond our ability.  Maybe we can have peace during a stressful situation or have wisdom to know what to say.  When we rely on God, we move beyond our abilities that God put in us at birth and we work in His power.  Philippians 4:12-13 says, "I know how to live on almost nothing or with everything. I have learned the secret of living in every situation, whether it is with a full stomach or empty, with plenty or little. For I can do everything through Christ, who gives me strength."  It is through Christ that we have the ability to face whatever situation we are in at home or work.  It is His strength that gets us through.

Do you rely on your abilities or on Christ throughout your day?

This post is linked with Word Filled Wednesday and iFellowship Blog Hop.

2 comments:

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I love hearing your feedback.