Monday, August 20, 2012

Integrity

Genesis 39:6-18

The stories and people in the Bible are amazing, but there are some that just stick out at me.  The story of Joseph is one of them because of his integrity and faith even when things were tough.  Joseph chose to honor God no matter where he was in his life - even in his lowest lows.  It encourages me to read through his story because it reminds me that God has everything in control even when it feels like everything has gone wrong.  With that said, let's continue digging in to his story today.  Last week I left off where he ended up as a slave in Potiphar's household; please read Genesis 39:6-18.

Joseph was an attractive young man and Potiphar's wife took notice of him.  Reading through these verses, it seems that she was approaching Joseph every chance she got.  But notice what Joseph would say to her in verse 9 (NLT), "No one here has more authority than I do. [Potiphar] has held back nothing from me except you, because you are his wife. How could I do such a wicked thing? It would be a great sin against God."  Notice that Joseph had so much integrity that we are told that he would attempt to avoid her as he did his work.  But he wasn't able to keep away from her completely because we are told that she came to him every day.  And her final attempt to get Joseph's attention proved to be dangerous for him.

Potiphar's wife cared nothing for Joseph, she just wanted to please her desire.  And it probably would have been easier for Joseph to just cave in to her demands and let her have her way.  Joseph was a young adult man who I'm sure had to fight back serious temptation with her proposals.  But Joseph knew that even if no one was watching, that he served a God that saw everything.  He knew that if he did such a thing, he would be sinning against that God that he loved.  He knew that no matter how difficult it was to deal with her advances, it was far more important to please God even if no one else would find out.

That is so challenging for me to think about because I have to analyze my own behavior and ask myself if I live a life full of so much integrity.  Is my first thought before I do anything whether or not it pleases God?  It is so easy to get caught up in the moment especially when we are dealing with a temptation, but Joseph lived a life that shows us that even under great pressure and temptation we can seek to please God before pleasing our desires.  We need to be aware of the great holiness of God and His sovereignty so we can remember whose desire is more important to please.  As I have said so many times before, the best way we can grow and understand our wonderful Creator is to spend time daily in prayer and in the Bible.  The more we spend time with Him, the more we will revert to what His desires are.  Let's spend time with God so we can truly live out our lives full of integrity!

Do you seek to please God first?

This post is linked with Monday Musings and Sharing His Beauty.

8 comments:

  1. Sharon,
    I LOVE JOSEPH! He is such an example of trusting God and acting in faith even when we can't see what God is doing. I get so much comfort from the fact that during the dark times, God was working out a grand and glorious plan that depended on Joseph's faith, integrity, and obedience. May we learn from Joseph's life so that we too can be used of God. Thanks so much for sharing your insights. I'm visiting today from Be Not Weary, and glad I did :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lori! I'm glad you visited, too! We really do have so much to learn from the example Joseph lived out.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for sharing and stopping by my blog.
    It is so encouraging to hear others seeking God and asking questions similar to my own.
    God bless you my sister.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by as well. I enjoyed your post today. :)

      Delete
  3. My husband and I were talking about integrity (or lack of it) last night. How even when we lack integrity in one area that a whole ministry can be ruined. I'm praying God will show me if there's any lack in my own life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so true, Pamela. The lack of integrity in one area can have huge consequences and destroy a ministry. I am so thankful that we have the Holy Spirit to guide us and give us the strength to do what is right and to show us when we are going in the wrong direction.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for this call to examine my life once again. I am a believer and pursuer of integrity. But I need to constantly search my heart by God's Spirit and word so I can improve.
    Thanks for sharing this thought.
    Following you via GFC from Sharing His Beauty.
    Have a great week!
    http://www.ugochi-jolomi.com/2012/08/singles-saturday_18.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sharon...It is amazing how lacking integrity is in our world today. We have to be intentional in our desire to have integrity. Doing what is right isn't always popular but it is pleasing to our Lord and that matters most importantly. Thank you for the reminder today and for sharing at WJIM.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I love hearing your feedback.