Friday, August 10, 2012

Sacrifice

Hebrew 13:15-16 (NLT)

"Therefore, let us offer through Jesus a continual sacrifice of praise to God, proclaiming our allegiance to his name. And don’t forget to do good and to share with those in need. These are the sacrifices that please God."

Have you ever considered yourself as rich?  I used to never consider myself rich because I live in America where there are people far wealthier than I am.  Living paycheck to paycheck doesn't feel rich in America.  But then one day, God opened my eyes and let me see the reality that the majority of the world doesn't live with the resources that I have.  He let me see that the majority of the world lives on just a fraction of my paycheck.  He showed me that there are so many people raising children on just one meal a day and have no hope for a better tomorrow.  Therefore, I am rich and I haven't used my wealth wisely.

Something God has challenged me over the last few years is the reality that there is a responsibility that comes with this wealth.  There is a responsibility to care for those in this world that were not born with the resources I have.  There is a responsibility to not squander it, but to share it.  When we make personal sacrifices to help those who have nothing to sacrifice, we are pleasing God.  We see that those are the kind of sacrifices that God wants.  We are sharing His glory with others when we are willing to sacrifice and be responsible with what has been given to us.

How does God want you to sacrifice?

This post is linked with Faith Filled Friday.

4 comments:

  1. I've worked with people in Kenya, and I wish everyone would have the opportuninity to work in a country where people have so much less than we do. It definitely changes are perspective. Thanks for this post on sacrifice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree...I think that is why short-term missions is so important. It exposes more people to these realities.

      Delete
  2. Re. your blog title, I'm so glad God knows my name, and I am learning so much about Him by learning more and more of HIS names!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The idea that He knows my name amazes me every time I think of it! He is so great, yet He chooses to know all of us. That makes Him all the greater because it is beyond our ability to comprehend. Thanks for visiting!

      Delete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I love hearing your feedback.