Monday, September 24, 2012

Decisions Based on Promise

Genesis 48:1-11

When I started this journey in Genesis, I did not anticipate it taking this long; however, I do not regret it one bit.  God has stretched me and taught me so much through this journey!  Thank you for being so patient with me as I walked slowly and savored this book that maps out our beginnings both physically and spiritually.  Now, I am finding myself at the last few chapters of the book of Genesis.  I plan on letting you know what I will be studying next later this week (I'm pretty excited about it), but I also don't want to lose focus on where God has me right now.  Ironically, the verses I am looking at today shows us Jacob's forward focus throughout his life.  Let us see how that has shaped his decisions; please read Genesis 48:1-11.

In these verses, Jacob refers to a promise God gave him at Luz, which is found in Genesis 28.  In these verses we see an amazing faith that we can all learn from.  Jacob told Joseph that based on this promise, he claimed Joseph's son Ephraim and Manasseh as his own.  Until his dying day, he chose to believe the promise that God gave to Abraham, Isaac, and to himself and allowed that promise to dictate his decisions.  So much that he claimed that Ephraim and Manasseh would inherit their own portion of this promise.  God had already told Jacob that he would die in Egypt but that his descendants would eventually return to the Promised Land.  Believing God, Jacob claimed which son would receive certain plots of land.

This morning, it makes me wonder how often I make decisions based on the promises that God has given to all of us.  Do I choose to do the things I do based on the faith that God has promised a Heavenly future for me? (John 14:1-3)  Do I make all my decisions based on my belief that God always does what He says He will do?  Do I make decisions to follow God's direction believing that He promised His provision? (Matthew 7:7-10)  Does my faith in God dictate what I do?  Those are tough questions!  I cannot say as I look back on my life that the answer has always been "yes."  But, these questions also help me look back on the times that I made decisions based on faith and how I can also see how God helped me through some of those difficult decisions.  I also see that the more I made faith-filled decisions, the more my faith has grown.

Does your faith dictate your decisions?

This post is linked with Monday Musings and Sharing His Beauty.

1 comment:

  1. Sharon...a thought provoking post. Thank you for sharing it at WJIM. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I love hearing your feedback.