Sunday, September 16, 2012

Humility From Wisdom

"If you are wise and understand God’s ways, prove it by living an honorable life, doing good works with the humility that comes from wisdom."  James 3:13 (NLT)

I receive Bible Gateway's verse of the day, and this was the verse that popped up for today.  This is a perfect example of how God uses His Word to speak a message to us that we so desperately need to hear.  But to explain why causes me to humble myself and share a bit of ugliness that was inside of me that I asked God to weed out.

Yesterday, my husband asked me to help out in the Kindergarten class for church today.  To give you a little background, my husband is a Children's Pastor and I have enjoyed serving in children's ministry alongside my husband for years - even before he became a pastor.  Basically, we've been working with children side by side for our entire 19 years of marriage.  But, for the last two years, I have backed out of my involvement and only serve now and then when he needs me.  This is partially because I currently work at the church as well in the Community Life and Outreach ministries and I usually have my own weekend tasks that I need to do for the weekend services.  This Sunday, it was looking like I wouldn't have much to do and I was looking forward to that.  But, then my husband asked me to serve.

My first response (not out loud) was to be annoyed.  But I knew that was not the reaction God desired in my heart.  I knew it because every morning as I pray I voice how amazed I am that He would choose to use me to serve Him.  He is the King of all Kings and the Creator of everything, yet He still sees me and chooses to let me serve Him.  But, I was forgetting in that moment who I served.  I was forgetting that everything I do here on earth is not for me or for anyone else; everything I do I should be doing for God.  This includes working with the Kindergarten class on a day that I thought I wouldn't have much to do.  The reality is that I actually adore working with those little ones because they are so excited about Jesus, but for a moment I got caught up in serving me.  And I also should be remembering that perhaps God made this a light day for me so I could be available to work with these precious little ones who need to know Jesus.

So, with this wisdom and understanding that the Holy Spirit has given me about who I serve, I humbly do what God has asked me to do.  I don't do it to rack up points in Heaven, I do it because I want to serve the One who created me and sacrificed so much for me.  I do it because He loves me with such an insane passion.  Perhaps you are not too excited about what you need to do today.  Can you remember who you serve and find joy in serving the One who loves you with a love you will never find anywhere else?

This post is linked with Spiritual Sunday.

2 comments:

  1. Sweet food for thought on this lovely almost-autumn Sunday. Thank you for this important reminder. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful way to look at service in God's kingdom. I was a children's director for over 20 years and loved every minute--well almost every one. Ha!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I love hearing your feedback.