Saturday, September 1, 2012

Summer Days

This is the last weekend that my children have of summer and then they start school on Tuesday.  Where I live, summers feel very short because the kiddos do not get out of school until the end of June.  So, that means we have 2 months in which to fit our summer activities along with our church/camp schedules.  But, this was a nice summer for us where our family found relaxation, exploration, and family blended in so nicely.  It was a wonderful summer after having a very busy year both in school and work schedules.  Here are some of the things we got to do this summer:


  • We went hiking/creeking to see the eternal flame near our house.  This is a favorite that we do each year since moving here three years ago.  It is hard to tell in this picture, but there is a flame that burns from a crack of natural gas in a small cave behind a waterfall.  It really is worth the hike down into the canyon.
Eternal Flame - Chestnut Ridge

  • I don't have pictures, but my husband and kiddos went to a children's camp in North Carolina, where he was the camp speaker.  They had a blast that week and the kids made some new friends.
In front of the Capitol building.
  • We spent a week in Washington DC, where we enjoyed visiting the monuments, memorials, and the museums.  We also sat on the Capitol Lawn for the 4th of July concert and fireworks.  Very hot (104 degrees Farenheit) but definitely something you don't get to do everyday!
Capitol on 4th of July.
Fireworks at Washington DC.
  • On our way home from Washington (which was through the beautiful Pennsylvania mountains), we stopped at Gettysburg and viewed the land of the largest battle ever fought on USA soil.  It is definitely worth the trip - it gave us all a better idea of the enormity of the battle.
One of the Gettysburg memorials.
  • My mom came to visit, so we drove to Hamilton, Ontario where we visited Ikea and spent the afternoon exploring waterfalls.  Hamilton has approximately 100 waterfalls in and around the city!  It made for a fun hike in beautiful scenery.
Trail by Tews Falls
Hamilton, Ontario.
Hamilton, Ontario















    Waterhead
  • My daughter started a tradition last year when my mom came to visit when she hosted a "Hawaii Day."  This year she did "Africa Day" where she created many games and activities that were based on African culture.  Games ranged from "Water Head" to a real African Stuffie Safari.  She used things I brought back with me from Zambia and the information I gave her.  So cute!
Pin the banana on the tree.
  • We squeezed in one more thing this weekend: hiking at Stony Brook State Park in New York, a one-night camping trip and a day at the Corning Museum of Glass.  We had a great time taking the kiddos camping - especially since we haven't gone camping for a couple of years.

Our tent.  :)

Creating a glass pendant.

Stony Brook State Park.
























Overall, it has been a summer where I have continued on my journey with God.  He guides my steps with my family, work, and relationship with Him.

"Your word is a lamp to guide my feet and a light for my path."  Psalm 119:105 (NLT)

This post is linked with Spiritual Sundays and Soli Deo Gloria.

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like you have really been busy doing fun and educational things. Our summer sure went by fast and we didn't really do anything out of the ordinary. I'm more than ready for fall and then before we know it Christmas will be here again. Thank you for sharing your fun times and the great pictures. And as you said, the important thing is to continue on your journey with God. I wish everyone could make that statement.
    Blessings,
    Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun filled summer! I bet getting back into the swing of school will be like a vacation for you :-) <just kidding) Thanks for giving us a glimpse, Sharon! Be blessed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow...sounds like a wonderful summer...and wonderful family memories...I love your daughter making different days when your mom comes...sweet. Happy fall and blessings as you all begin school again~

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful summer. I too posted on summer snapshots today - a great way to look back, savor and reenjoy this season!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I love hearing your feedback.