Tuesday, November 13, 2012

He Can Calm the Storm

Well, I didn't post yesterday because my daughter had her birthday this weekend.  The kiddos had a day off school yesterday, so we let my daughter have two friends over for the night.  So, our little house temporarily surrendered to the wills of three tween girls who were making sugar scrubs and oatmeal face masks.  Of course, a manicure was in order.  All of this couldn't possibly be squeezed into a few hours the night; that would be absurd!  No, the frivolity lasted through the night and into the earliest part of the morning.  Needless to say, I slept in a bit and fed them breakfast after waking them up so they would be ready to go home with their parents.  I must say that they were wonderful guests and were actually fairly quiet once the rest of us went to bed.

Life is full of its disruptions, isn't it?  Some of them are good-natured, such as my daughter's sleep over, and some of them can be downright scary.  I am facing a couple of disruptions in different spots in my life right now and one of them wants to strike fear in me.  But the verses I am looking at right now remind me that no matter what we are facing, Jesus is with us.  He will not allow the things of this world to destroy us.  So, I have to admit that these verses are comforting to read right now because I have the Most High and Only God who is with me every step of the way.  Please read Matthew 8:23-27.

Violent storms certainly rise up in life, but I want to think about the storms of life that come in the form of stress and anxiety.  These are the storms that make us feel like we just might not survive the storm and see the end.  The loss of a job or home, death, or illness can send us reeling into despair and we just don't see how the raging storm will end.  But remember, Jesus cares and is with us.  We have to remember that He is not going to allow us to be destroyed by the storm.  In this story, we see how Jesus calls the disciples out because of their lack of faith and He instantly calms the storm by rebuking it.  The disciples' reaction is interesting to me because they knew to turn to Jesus in the midst of the storm, yet when Jesus ended the storm they were asking who He was.

Jesus was on a mission and He brought the disciples with Him; He had a plan to get to the other side of the lake.  Tomorrow, I want to look at what happened on the other side; however, we need to remember that He is on a mission today and He is taking us with Him.  We can trust that if it means we need to get to the other side of the lake that Jesus will bring us there - storm or no storm.  Look, He didn't rebuke the disciples because they came to Him, He was pointing out that they needed to trust Him.  He wants us to come to Him in the storm, but He also wants us to trust Him and know that He has authority over the storm.

Do you turn to Jesus in the storm?  Do you trust Jesus in the midst of the storm?

This post is linked with On Your Heart Tuesday and Soli Deo Gloria.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, Jesus is my shelter in the storm, always.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I love hearing your feedback.