Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Mangled and Cast Away

Yesterday, I began to write this post and because of various circumstances I was unable to finish it.  I had been amazed at how God's timing was amazing because I felt like reading these verses was an answer to a personal prayer I had prayed that very morning.  However, God had more to show me throughout the day yesterday and I want to share a little of the perspective He gave me.  I want to warn you that the next few sentences are very difficult to read and much more difficult for me to pen because they portray a true story that is disturbing and a bit graphic.  I also want to preface it with the fact that I am not trying to shock you but rather share a truth that God shared with me because we need to have more compassion.  

The story is about a little nine year old refugee girl from a war torn country.  When a missionary approached her she asked him, "Are you going to kill me?"  Doesn't it break your heart that a nine year old would even think to ask that question?  She shared with the missionary that her friend was shot by some soldiers in her country and her little body was blown apart.  The soldiers forced this little precious nine year old to piece her friend back together.  There is more to the story that I cannot bear to type out; however, just know this little nine year old girl has seen and experienced more atrocities than we can understand.  Oh, how much pain is in this world!  But I want to show you that God sees and understands the pain and has compassion.  Please read Matthew 9:35-38.

Something caught my attention yesterday and I had to look up the words that the NLT translates as  "confused and helpless."  Skyllō is the Greek word translated as confused.  According to BlueLetterBible.com it means to rend, mangle, skin, flay, vex, trouble, to trouble oneself.  That is pretty graphic, isn't it?  And it seems a bit stronger language than confused.  Rhiptō is translated as helpless and it means to throw or cast, throw down, to set down with the suggestion that it is without care, prostrate.  I guess I am sharing this with you because these strong words give us a description of how Jesus saw the crowds.  We live in a hurting world with an enemy that we are told who steals, kills, and destroys but Jesus has come to give us life to the full (John 10:10).  While most of us don't see a literal mangling and throwing away of life like that little nine year old girl; we can experience that spiritually.

We can have damaging hurts that leave thick, heavy scars on our hearts.  We can be torn apart by the circumstances we face.  We can feel cast away by this world.  We are sentenced to death by the sin we bear - a hopeless fate.  But Jesus sees that and has compassion.  He came to give us life to the full; He came to heal.  He came to sacrifice His life so that we could live.  Notice the statement Jesus makes about these hurting people, "The harvest is great, but the workers are few.  So pray to the Lord who is in charge of the harvest; ask Him to send more workers into his fields." (Matthew 9:37-38, NLT).  First, we see that we have a responsibility that Jesus gave us - pray for more workers.  But, I also want to point out that we can be the workers.  We can ask God to expand our hearts to understand that people are in pain and we can point them to the way of their ultimate Healer.  We can pray that God gives us the very compassion that He has for all who are lost without Him.

Have you prayed for compassion?  Do you see the hurting people who are mangled and cast away?

This post is linked with Word Filled Wednesday.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Sharon,

    It's amazing and heartbreaking the things that children in war-torn areas are exposed to. And there are broken people everywhere, even next door. May God break our hearts with the things that break His.

    linking up from ICD,
    Susan

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I love hearing your feedback.