Monday, December 24, 2012

The World Did Not Know Him

Whether or not we want to admit, we all have a preconceived notion of who God is.  We all have an idea of what He'll do in our situations (or what He should do).  We all seem to know how God fits into our lives.  But, the problem with all of that is: 1. There is too much of God for us to know all of Him, 2. God already has a plan and knows what He will do in our lives, 3. God is too big to fit into our lives - we fit into His.  John 1:10 (NLT) says, "He came into the very world He created, but the world didn't recognize Him."  How could the world not recognize its own Creator?  For the very reasons stated above!  Please read Luke 2:16-20.

The world was never expecting the Messiah to be born in a manger with poor parents.  The world never expected that the first people to worship the Messiah would be a group of shepherds who were working the night shift.  This just didn't fit the idea of how God would come in and rescue His people.  But His people didn't understand from what they needed rescuing.  God wanted to save them for eternity, but they wanted circumstantial salvation.  But don't judge them because we all have similar struggles.

It makes me wonder how often I've missed a treasure because I was expecting something different.  When have I expected God to behave in a certain way that made more sense to me?  When have I expected God to fit in to a piece of my life when I should have been asking how He wanted me to fit into His life?  This Christmas, as you worship our Savior who came to earth in such an unexpected way, ask God to search your heart and show you your possible stumbling blocks based on expectations.

This post is linked with Sharing His Beauty.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I love hearing your feedback.