Monday, January 14, 2013

Compassion For the Crowd

How are you at balancing many details all at once?  Do you like to have many details going on, or do you prefer to have someone else handling the details?  I have always had jobs that required multi-tasking.  Jobs ranging from being a waitress to a music therapist to an elementary school secretary.  When necessary, I can balance several tasks and facts at the same time.  But even with the ability to multi-task, I still find myself getting into a groove and having tunnel vision.  If I have a task that requires a lot of focus and work, I will zone in so tight that I will not notice other things going on around me.  This can be both good and bad.  The focus will allow me to pound through something to completion; however, it can also render me blind to something that also requires my attention.  I could miss a bigger picture because I am so focused on the task that I have right in front of me.  The reality is that no matter how much I multi-task, I am far from perfect and there will always be a detail that didn't get enough attention or that I missed all together.  But God is one who can zone in and multi-task and never misses a detail.  Not one detail!  The verses I am looking at show us Jesus' incredible attention to the entire picture of needs all around Him.  Please use the link and read Matthew 15:29-39.

The first three verses show us that Jesus healed everyone that came to Him.  Everyone!  It didn't matter what type of healing the person needed, Jesus healed them.  But the thing that amazes me is what happened next; He said that He felt sorry for the people because they had been with Him for three days and have no more food to eat.  They were with Jesus for three days, which also means that He had been healing people in the crowd for three days.  But Jesus, knew that He couldn't just send them away because they were hungry.  He didn't stop at healing, He looked at their entire needs and provided for them.  There are other things going on in these verses, but Jesus' ability to look at the big picture while handling the details is what I want to focus on today.

Jesus modeled the big picture for us.  It wouldn't have done a lot of good to heal them and then they couldn't make the trip home because they were too weak from hunger.  Isn't that a powerful thought?  The world-wide church has a big job and God uses each local church to meet many different needs.  What is happening around your local church right now?  What needs are out there that are going unmet?  What are we forgetting to consider?  Our world and communities are ever changing and there will always be a new need that is being unmet.  What has God opened your eyes to see?  If you don't see anything, pray and ask God to show you a need in your community that is crying for compassion.

What need is God showing you today?

This post is linked with Sharing His Beauty.

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for the great post! I, too, can have tunnel vision and need to be more aware of what's going on around me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just pray that God will always keep my eyes open and see the need around me.

      Delete
  2. Hi Sharon
    The biggest need that I have found in the church, is the need for us all to LOVE one another, truly, love one another. I saddens me to see how we try to cater for every need outside the church, but so often neglect that one very important thing! Hopped over from Joan. Thanks for receiving me.
    Bless you
    Mia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband and I have moved around a lot, which also means we have been in several churches. Each church had its own version of tunnel vision. Some churches ignore what's just outside their door and only help those who are inside, and others do the opposite. Either way, we need to have God open our eyes to what He wants us to do.

      Delete
  3. perspective is my balance throughout my days of physical or emotional depths, it allows me to decode my spirit and His voice from life's loud hissing ~ wonderful blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When we ask, God will always open our eyes to what He wants us to see. That is what keeps our perspective in check. Thanks for visiting!

      Delete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I love hearing your feedback.