Monday, January 7, 2013

Focus

I have been wearing glasses since I was four because I am near-sighted and I have astigmatism.  Astigmatism means that the eye struggles to make a focused image and causes blurring or crooked lines.  And my near-sighted vision means that I see things better close up.  Either way, in order for me to see clearly, I need to have my vision corrected just like so many other people in the world.  It really is amazing how different the world looks when I put on my glasses!  What was once a blurry image suddenly has shape and meaning.  The verses I am looking at today show how an incorrect focus can cause problems with our belief; please read Matthew 14:1-12.

We learn a lot about Herod's relationship with John the Baptist in these verses.  Some of what we learn is that Herod arrested John because of his wife and not so much because John had done anything wrong.  It almost seems as though Herod kind of liked having John close by because he regretted having to fulfill his step-daughter's request to kill John.  It almost seems as if Herod understood that John was a prophet because of how he reacted to the news of Jesus.  Notice what we read in Matthew 14:2, "...he said to his advisers, 'This must be John the Baptist raised from the dead! That is why he can do such miracles.'"

Herod was relating to Jesus by what he saw in John.  He seemed to understand what he saw in John and decided that Jesus was John coming back to life.  It is unfortunate that is how he related to Jesus because he missed out on a much greater truth that Jesus was the long-awaited Messiah.  His focus was on the wrong thing.  If you look at the picture above, I was taking a picture with a new camera and was learning how to change the focal point of the camera.  In this picture that I was taking of the scenery outside my house, I was taking it from my dining room window.  The camera focused on the screen a few inches from the lens rather than the greater scenery outside.  I think that is what was happening with Herod.  He was focusing on the more familiar or what was closer to him rather than focusing on the greater things happening outside his palace.  

It makes me wonder how much I miss some of the greater views of God because I focus on the more familiar things near by.  We can all have that near-sighted and blurry vision because it really is easier to look at what is closer to our hearts.  Just like it was hard for Herod to relate to anything that was happening outside his palace, we can have difficulty relating to something that is outside our realm of experience.  We need to put on the corrective lens that we receive by reading the Bible in order to gain a new focus.  Our time in the Bible and in prayer changes our focus so that we see the things of God over our experience.

Where is your focus?  What are you doing to correct your vision?

This post is linked with Sharing His Beauty.

2 comments:

  1. God's word certainly can clear things up! The problem is, trying to keep our focus on God. There are so many things pulling us one way or another, but our focus is a choice. If we choose to look to God, no matter what is happening in our lives, our vision is definitely corrected! Thanks for this great reminder, Sharon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so true...our focus is a choice! I love that! Thank you for visiting, Joan.

      Delete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I love hearing your feedback.