Tuesday, January 8, 2013

How'd He Do That?

The other day, I was flipping through the channels on the TV and landed on a documentary about soccer and it showed some amazing footwork and skill on the soccer field.  There were a few times where I found myself saying, "How'd he do that?"  Even when they slowed down the tape, it still seemed like an impossible thing to accomplish; I guess it seemed impossible because there was no way I could do it.  While I may have really good fine motor coordination (typing, playing flute...), my gross motor coordination (sports, dance, etc...) isn't good.  I was always one of the last people picked for a team in gym because playing sports was something I just couldn't seem to get a handle on.  So when I watched these exceptional athletes play the game like no one else, it just seemed impossible to me.  In yesterday's post, I mentioned that sometimes we relate with what we are familiar, so it can cause us to be near-sighted in our vision.  Just like the soccer skills seen on the field seem impossible because I can't do it, doesn't mean that it is impossible.  Jesus did a lot of things that we read in the Bible seem impossible, but I would ask you to read it with the filter of "just because I can't do it doesn't mean it is impossible."  With that in mind, please read Matthew 14:13-21.

Can you imagine the faces on the disciples when Jesus told them that they were going to feed the 5,000 people?  Especially when He wanted to go on with the idea when they only had five loaves of bread and two fish.  That's just crazy!  It seemed like an impossible thing to do - in fact, it still seems impossible.  Yet, after Jesus blessed the food they fed all 5,000 people and had left overs!  They didn't just have left overs, they had 12 baskets of left-overs.  It was almost as if Jesus made sure that each one of the 12 disciples would have to pick up and carry the basket of left-overs back to Jesus.  Could you imagine bringing a basket of left-overs back to Jesus after telling Him that they would not be able to feed the people?

I cannot explain how Jesus did that, but I believe He did it.  This is because faith requires me to set aside what I've experienced and what I can do and accept that God can do whatever He wants.  I believe that He created the world so that means that I have to believe that if He wants to do something new that we've never seen, He can.  In fact, Jesus addressed this issue with someone who was wondering if Jesus could do something that would require a miracle.  Mark 10:27 gives us Jesus' reply, "Jesus looked at them and said, 'With man this is impossible, but not with God; all things are possible with God.'"  All things are possible with God!

What seems impossible for you?  Do you believe that all things are possible with God?

This post is linked with Soli Deo Gloria.

2 comments:

  1. So true. It's hard sometimes to look beyond what we are capable of on our own and realize how much bigger God is. But it's so amazing when we do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is amazing! Thank you for visiting.

      Delete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I love hearing your feedback.