Friday, February 15, 2013

Busy or Busybody?

A while back, I found myself with a couple of days off after running hard for several weeks.  Normally, when I have a day off I am happy to sit and relax with a good book and hot cocoa.  But during this particular time, I found myself not knowing what to do with myself.  My brain was too tired to read, but physically I wasn't tired enough to take a nap and remedy the situation.  It was strange because I don't get bored very often, but I found myself feeling bored.  I am currently in the middle of a diet, which has been going well and I found that I just wanted to eat that day.  My idleness wasn't good for me, and while I mostly resisted the temptation to munch all day I did eat a little more than I have been eating.  I wasn't necessarily hungry, but I didn't have anything else to do.  This morning, I thought back on that day because the reading for today with the Community Bible Experience was through 1 and 2 Thessalonians, where Paul wrote about the importance of not being idle.

Paul wrote in 2 Thessalonians 3:10, "We hear that some among you are idle and disruptive. They are not busy; they are busybodies."  Not busy...busybodies.  That is an interesting phrase, isn't it?  It is true that when we keep ourselves busy, we do not have the time to get into trouble.  It is when we allow ourselves to be idle that we easily get caught up in our old temptations.  This verse in particular makes me think of the neighborhood gossip.  Too much time on our hands gives us too much time to peer into other peoples business that isn't necessarily something we need to know about.  If we have enough time to watch everyone around us, then we are not taking enough time investing into our relationship with God.  I am not saying that we shouldn't be aware of the needs around us, but I am saying that we need to keep busy enough helping people rather than finding out about people.  Do you understand the difference?

Are you taking the time to be busy or are you a busybody?

This post is linked with Faith Filled Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I love hearing your feedback.