Friday, February 1, 2013

Sin and Forgiveness

Lately, my life has been extremely busy between my children's schedules and my work responsibilities!  Between school musicals and band/orchestra performances and contests, the kids have been solidifying the reality that my husband and I exist to taxi them around.  Of course, I'm only joking, but I'm sure there are several of you out there that can completely understand what I am saying.  My husband and I limit how many things the kids are allowed to be involved in and even with that, when you multiply it by three there can be some very crazy weeks.  These busy couple of weeks has been making me a little slower in the morning and I haven't always had the time to jot out my thoughts on what I've read for the day.  This morning I am asking you to read through some verses and pray through what God is saying to you.  That pretty much is my routine and it may sound simple, but God uses the Bible to speak to us - something we need for each day.  I am constantly amazed at how I can be using a reading plan or just going through a particular book and He speaks an important truth that I need to hear that day.  With that said, please click on the link and read Matthew 18:15-35.

These seem like two different stories with different themes; however, consider how the first set of verses flow right into the truth that is expressed in the second set of verses.  Without putting out all of my thoughts, please consider and pray through these questions:

What do verses 15-20 tell us to do when someone has sinned against us?

What do verses 21-35 tell us about how much God has forgiven us?

What do verses 21-35 tell us about how others' sin against us compares to our sin against God?

Knowing how much more that God has forgiven us, what does Jesus expect from us when others sin against us?

How do verses 15-35 wrap sin and forgiveness into a continuous response that Jesus expects from all His followers?

That's a lot to chew on, isn't it?  When we begin to understand that our sin (debt) against God is greater than we could ever repay, it helps us to appreciate all the more the forgiveness that He extends to us.  In turn this should change our attitude when we need to forgive others, whose debt to us doesn't even compare to the debt we had to God.  Praise God for His forgiveness and praise God that He gives us the ability to forgive!

I want to wrap up today by letting you know that I am taking a break from my journey through the book of Matthew.  What a wonderful journey it has been so far!  I am excited to let you know that I am following the journey that my church is taking through the Community Bible Experience.  This will take our church through the New Testament in eight weeks; however, we'll be reading through it in a different order from the way our Bibles are put together.  Biblica has put together the New Testament in an order that reflects the books more in the order they were written.  For more information about it, you can use this link.  If you want to follow along with me, you can sign up for a reading plan at YouVersion.  If you are not reading the Bible every day, what a wonderful way to start!  You'll be reading the same verses with hundreds of other people at the same time, which I think is very inspiring.  I'm looking forward to it!

This post is linked with Faith Filled Friday.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Sharon,
    God's forgiveness is truly huge in us, and like you said, if He forgives us, we should forgive others willingly too.
    Thanks for this reminder and invitation.
    And hey! I am reading the Daystar reading plan on YouVersion, it is a 6month reading plan for the whole Bible.
    Have a super blessed day!
    Love

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for linking up to FFF!! We are so grateful for you!

    Hope that you find a time of refreshment and renewal as you take a break!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to check out those Bible links! Thanks :) So much truth here.

    Visiting from Laura's today. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I love hearing your feedback.