Monday, March 11, 2013

As Long As It Is Called Today

If you have followed me for a while, you may have read some posts where I have mentioned that I was a music therapist.  I studied music and music therapy for four years in college, completed a six month internship and passed an exam in order to call myself a board-certified music therapist.  However, I quit working after my daughter was born and stayed home with my three children and I never have regretted that decision.  Five years later, my certification expired because I didn't have the finances to do all the requirements needed to keep up my certification since I wasn't working.  So, even though at one point I was a good music therapist and thoroughly enjoyed my job, I can no longer say that I am a board-certified music therapist.  I say all this to point out that there are things that we used to be that we no longer are.  We can change for the better or worse, and we can have a start with something but never finish.

Reading through the Community Bible Experience this morning takes us through Hebrews 1 - 4:13. This is an interesting book because it goes through a systematic approach about who Jesus is and what that means to us.  After spending two chapters giving an explanation of who Jesus is and His authority, the author starts out Hebrews 3:1 (NIV) with, "Therefore, holy brothers and sisters, who share in the heavenly calling, fix your thoughts on Jesus, whom we acknowledge as our apostle and high priest."  I just want to point out the phrase, "...who share in the heavenly calling..."  Two weeks ago, in Ephesians we read Paul reminding us to "live a life worthy of the call" (Ephesians 4:1).  Today we see that one way to do this is to fix our thoughts on Jesus.  We can see how to live a life worthy of the call by fixing our thoughts on Jesus.  Don't you love the word, fixing?  This feels so strong to me because it gives me the idea that our thoughts our on Him and Him alone.

In fact, the author goes further to say in Hebrews 3:12 (NIV), "See to it, brothers and sisters, that none of you has a sinful, unbelieving heart that turns away from the living God."  When our thoughts are fixed on Jesus, it helps us to keep our faith in Him.  If we think on things of the world, our hearts can stray away from our Lord and Creator.  The author continued in Hebrews 3:13 (NIV), "But encourage one another daily, as long as it is called 'Today,' so that none of you may be hardened by sin’s deceitfulness."  Isn't that an interesting sentence?  As long as it is called today...isn't every day called today?  That brings me to the conclusion that our faith is an active thing we do all the time every day.  This isn't something that we do when we are in the right mood; this is a purposeful decision to follow and believe God today.  My belief in Him yesterday isn't going to help me today if I stray away and fix my thoughts on the things of the world.  I must actively choose to follow Him today.  Hebrews 3:14 (NIV) continues on by saying, "We have come to share in Christ, if indeed we hold our original conviction firmly to the very end."  We can hold on to our original conviction by choosing to believe today.  As long as it is called "today" we must fix our thoughts on Jesus.

Where are your thoughts today?

This post is linked with Sharing His Beauty.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I love hearing your feedback.