Thursday, March 21, 2013

As Long As It Is Day

When I was a child, I used to be afraid of thunderstorms (even during the day).  I remember one afternoon when I was supposed to be taking a nap a storm hit and I couldn't sleep.  My mom came into the room and she told me that the thunder was just the sound of the angels bowling up in heaven and the lightening was them flickering the lights on and off to celebrate a strike.  Even then, I knew it was silly, but it calmed me down and I was able to fall asleep.  But, it is interesting to remember that God created this world that does have its storms and it does have thunder and lightening.  Our world has daylight and darkness.  That is what we see from our human perspective and in our physical world.  When Jesus came, He was opening our eyes to the spiritual darkness and light.  Today's reading through the Community Bible Experience has taken me through a portion of the book of John where we are told of many miracles Jesus did and yet there was still unbelief.

Yesterday, I wrote about the wonderful truth that Jesus was the light.  In fact, He is the light through whom the world was created, yet the world didn't recognize Him when He came.  Today, Jesus took many opportunities to remind people of His light, even referring to the time of His walking on earth as daylight.  One opportunity He seized to get His point across was in John 9, where He healed a blind man from birth.  Jesus said in John 9:4 (NIV), "As long as it is day, we must do the works of Him who sent me. Night is coming, when no one can work.  While I am in the world, I am the light of the world.”  As long as it is day...  Jesus healed the man, yet there were those who refused to believe.  In fact, they threw the healed man out of the temple when he claimed the truth that he was healed by God.

As long as it is day.  This reminds me of reading through 2 Peter a few days ago where Peter wrote four times in the short letter, "make every effort..."  Don't both these phrases give you a sense of urgency?  In 2 Peter, we are given the urgency to do all that we can to do what pleases God.  In this section of John we are given the urgency to do all that we can while there is still time.  Jesus gave us another taste of this urgency when he healed Lazarus in John 11.  When His disciples asked Him why He would go back to heal Lazarus when people in that area wanted to kill Him, Jesus replied (John 11:9-10 NIV), “Are there not twelve hours of daylight? Anyone who walks in the daytime will not stumble, for they see by this world’s light. It is when a person walks at night that they stumble, for they have no light.”  As long as it is day...

We are given a short time here on earth; that is just part of the human experience.  If we believe in Jesus, we have His light dwelling in us.  This is our hour.  As long as it is day...  We need to do all we can while it is day.  We are all called by God to do His work.  As long as it is day we must to the work set before us.  If we follow Christ, that means we are to live as He lived.  He lived with purpose and determination to do all that He could during His time.   As long as it is day...

What are you doing with your daylight?

This post is linked with Thought Provoking Thursday.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I love hearing your feedback.