Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Light That Has Not Been Overcome

I have absolutely no luck in buying three way lamps!  It doesn't seem to matter where we bought it or what brand we bought, it seems that after a short period of time the lamp flickers and dims when it is on the highest setting.  Maybe it isn't the lamp; maybe it is that three way light bulbs just have a shortened life span....very short.  I don't know what the real issue is, all I know is that while I was praying this morning my room suddenly seemed to get dimmer.  Yup, the lamp in my room went from the highest setting to the lowest setting all on its own.  I have to admit that it made me chuckle a little bit because we've only had the lamp for about six months and the bulb has been in the lamp probably for two months.  Go figure!  I guess we'll be buying a new light bulb soon.

I am thinking about that lamp right now because I read through the first few chapters of the Gospel of John.  I love the opening of John because he didn't mince words about who Jesus is; on the contrary, he made sure he was painting a clear picture of Jesus.  John 1:4 (NIV), "In Him was life, and that life was the light of all mankind. The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it."  The darkness has not overcome the light.  Notice how the second sentence is present tense - the light has not been overcome.  You see, my lamp is fallible; however, the true light - Jesus - will never be overcome by darkness.  His light will always shine through even the darkest hours and will never fail.

Continuing on to John 3:16 (NIV), Jesus said, "For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life."  We need to believe in the salvation that only Jesus can give - our true light.  But Jesus continued on to explain that there is no condemnation for those who believe in Him, but those who refuse to believe will be condemned.  John 3:19-21 (NIV) explains why: "This is the verdict: Light has come into the world, but people loved darkness instead of light because their deeds were evil.  Everyone who does evil hates the light, and will not come into the light for fear that their deeds will be exposed.  But whoever lives by the truth comes into the light, so that it may be seen plainly that what they have done has been done in the sight of God."

Light exposes evil.  Plain and simple.  If my bedroom is a mess, it remains messy whether or not my light is turned on.  I just have to look at my mess when it is dark, but when my light is on I can see everything that needs to be cleaned up.  Our lives are the same way.  We can prefer to stay in the dark so we don't have to see the things that need to change; however, when we choose to believe and step into the light we expose ourselves and see the things that need to go.  It is inevitable that when we choose to follow Jesus, we will change because His light will show us what needs to change and what is good.  The most incredible thing is that this light will never be overcome by darkness!  Light overcomes darkness, but darkness cannot extinguish light.  Isn't that wonderful?

Are you living in the light?

This post is linked with Word Filled Wednesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I love hearing your feedback.