Saturday, March 9, 2013

Our True Hope

Yesterday, I wrote about the amazing mercy God poured out on us through Jesus.  It is mercy because we were given forgiveness without having to pay back our debt from sin.  But something I didn't mention was His grace - grace is being given something without any merit on our own.  A few weeks ago reading through Romans, Paul was very clear about the difference of earning wages based on the work we have done and receiving a gift.  Grace is given to us as a gift not as our wages.  When it was time to pick out a new memory verse, Titus 3:4-7 really jumped out at me because it explained both mercy and grace.  I like to add verses that explains mercy and grace so clearly to my memory verses because it gives me a reference and helps me to be ready for when someone may ask me what I believe.

Titus 3:4-7 (NIV):  "But when the kindness and love of God our Savior appeared, He saved us, not because of righteous things we had done, but because of His mercy. He saved us through the washing of rebirth and renewal by the Holy Spirit, whom He poured out on us generously through Jesus Christ our Savior, so that, having been justified by His grace, we might become heirs having the hope of eternal life."

Isn't that truth the most amazing thing to hang our hope on?  God's amazing mercy and grace through Jesus is our salvation and hope.  We are made new through the washing, rebirth, and renewal by the Holy Spirit.  We are a new creation!  All the more reason to remember to "live a life worthy of the calling," as Paul wrote in Ephesians 4:1.

This post is linked with Spiritual Sundays.

2 comments:

  1. This is so encouraging,Sharon. His grace is amazing and mercy everlasting. I love how He pours them like oil on my heart. My hope is hung!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I love hearing your feedback.