Friday, April 12, 2013

Greatness Is Serving

All this week, I have been reading through one passage after another in Matthew where we are shown that God's economy is so different from the human economy.  His thoughts and ideas and view of what is important are the very things that we humans often run away from.  Our world doesn't place high value on setting aside our own preferences in order to honor someone else.  In fact, I know that when I find myself becoming offended, once I allow myself to be honest I see that I am offended because I am unwilling to step aside from my own preferences.  As soon as I can recognize that in myself, it helps me to change my attitude - if only I could always see that before offense sets in!  You see, God wants our walk to be one of humility not one of greatness.  Please read how Jesus approached the idea of greatness and humility in Matthew 20:17-28.

These verses start with Jesus telling His disciples of His upcoming death and resurrection.  But right  after that we read about the mother who approached Jesus to have her two sons to sit on the right and left of Jesus in heaven.  I find Jesus response incredible because He knew that this was creating offense among all the disciples.  But instead of rebuking everyone, He used it as a teaching moment to explain that they are to be servants and their goal wasn't to be great.  Once again, He pointed out that He came to serve and be our ransom.  When we remember Jesus' purpose, it has a way of sending a jolt of conviction to our hearts, doesn't it?

Humility is greatness in God's eyes.  But, I also think we need to be careful how we view humility. Humility isn't self loathing, because when we are hating ourselves we are still thinking about ourselves.  Humility is setting aside ourselves in order to think of others more than we think of ourselves.  In fact, I believe we become more humble as we grow in our relationship with God.  This is because the Holy Spirit is empowering us to become humble and we begin to understand all the more what Jesus did for us.  The more we understand His sacrifice, the more we are compelled to love Him and love others.  This is what honors God and Jesus' sacrifice.  He came to serve, and He wants us to serve with Him!  How amazing is that!?

Do you see that it is an honor to serve?

This post is linked with Faith Filled Friday.

2 comments:

  1. It seems to come more easily to be selfish and self-centered, but Jesus certainly does teach humility. It is an extreme honor to be able to serve with Jesus. Lovely post, Sharon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Connie, it is more easy to selfish and self-centered. I am so thankful for the Holy Spirit's empowerment in humility!

      Delete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I love hearing your feedback.