Thursday, May 23, 2013

Resistance

When we resist something, it often makes it harder on us, doesn't it?  For example, if I tell my kiddos to go clean their rooms, they just need to go do it.  If they resist, their resistance isn't going to stop the fact that they need to clean their room and it will probably make the experience even more unpleasant for them.  I don't ask them to clean their rooms because I am mean; they need to clean their rooms for safety, health, and just so they can find their things.  Cleaning isn't fun, but it is necessary.  Do you think there are times in our lives when God allows us to go through unpleasant experiences?  Maybe it is to clean things up in our lives - it is not punishment it is simply a straightening up.  Maybe it is to help us grow.  Just like it is hard for my kids to understand the why's behind my decisions, we don't always understand why God allows for something bad.  But, Jesus modeled for us how we can trust God even in the worst circumstances instead of resisting what He wants.  Please use the link and read Matthew 26:47-67.

In these verses, we see how Jesus knew what was going to happen and He didn't resist.  Why?  He told us why in Matthew 26:53-54 (NIV), "Do you think I cannot call on my Father, and He will at once put at my disposal more than twelve legions of angels? But how then would the Scriptures be fulfilled that say it must happen in this way?"  Jesus knew that God's will was more important than resisting.  I'm not saying that we cannot pray through the situation because as we saw yesterday, Jesus still prayed.  He prayed hard.  But I guess if we've given it to God in prayer, we don't have to resist.  Wow...those words were really hard to type out and even harder to think about.  Resistance is a knee-jerk reaction for me.  If we are calling ourselves disciples or Jesus followers, then we need to seriously consider the fact that Jesus didn't resist.  If we are following Him so close that we are getting covered in His dust, then we cannot ignore Jesus' reaction.

Do you pray through your difficulties or do you resist?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I love hearing your feedback.