Monday, June 17, 2013

Be Strong and Courageous

I don't know if this happens because we've been married for twenty years, but it is interesting how my husband and I often react exactly the same way with our kiddos.  For example, just this morning we both said exactly the same thing at the same time when one of our kids was looking for something.  Who knows, maybe it is because the answer was that simple or maybe it is because of consistency.  Either way, it was a clear message of what he needed to do because we both were obviously unified in our response.  There are times when God tells us something and we hear it multiple times from Him or He uses other people to confirm what we are hearing from Him.  When that happens, I know that it is something God wants to make sure I hear and understand.  As I continue on in my "Unprepared" study, I am looking at Joshua's call to lead the Israelites into Israel (Canaan).  Please use the link and read Joshua 1.

"Be strong and courageous."  In Joshua 1:6-9, God told Joshua to be strong and courageous 3 times.  I know when I tell my kids something three times, it is a clear message that it is important and they need to listen.  Setting aside the idea that a message like that could be overwhelming, God wanted to make sure that the message was clear and that Joshua would understand how important it was.  But notice Joshua's response.  He began to command the troops to prepare to enter the promise land.  He gave clear instructions that God was giving them the land and that everyone should get their possessions ready to move.  He wasn't just preparing for battle, he was preparing to win!  He believed God when God told Him that He was with him.

But I absolutely love what God did for Joshua next.  Notice the response Joshua got when he gave instructions to the tribes of Reuben, Gad, and Manasseh.  They let him know that they would follow and obey and then in verse 18, they said, "Be strong and courageous!"  I just cannot help but think of what a confirmation that had to be for Joshua's heart.  It was just another reminder that God gave him of the call that was placed on his life.  Joshua had been ready to inherit the land 40 years ago and he finally was going to experience God's amazing power going before them in the land of Canaan.  Joshua believed God's promises when he was younger, and he was still resolved to believe them 40 years later.  As a result, Joshua was given a large task with a lot of encouragement from God.

Just like Joshua modeled for us, when God sends us we can trust Him.  We can trust that God knows what He is doing and when we follow Him we will have the opportunity to see the amazing things He will do.  God doesn't need us to do anything; however, He chooses to use us so we can experience Him more intimately and fully.  He just wants us to prepare the troops and go when He sends us.  We can be strong and courageous when we remember that God already knows what He will accomplish.

Has God spoken a clear call for you?  Do you trust that He is with you?

This post is linked with Inspire Me Monday.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Sharon! This is my first visit to your blog.

    Well, I am trying to listen more closely to God.sometimes I think it's me talking to myself, but you are right that multiple knocks on my heart must mean something!

    Great blog post and subject too!

    Happy to 'join' you!

    Peace in Christ,
    Ceil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ceil! Thank you for visiting! I completely understand...I've had those same feelings as well. :) I think something to remember is to consider the message being spoken to your heart. Is is consistent with the Bible? Is it speaking truth? What feelings does the message elicit: fear or peace. If it is fear, than it is not from God because He does not give us fear. These are some of the filters I have used. I hope that helps.

      Delete
    2. Thanks! That helps :)

      Peace in Christ,
      Ceil

      Delete
  2. God keeps bringing this message "to listen to His voice".... everthing I have read today. I'd say God is trying to tell me something!! Thank you for the words you have written today. God is using you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Susan! Thank you for visiting and for your encouragement. Wow...God is telling you something! Keep listening!

      Delete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I love hearing your feedback.