There really is nothing in life that I could possibly compare today's story to because it is God's greatest miracle and our greatest source of hope. With that said, I am just going to jump right in and ask you to use the link and read Matthew 28:1-15.
Even though this is the story in the Bible that I have known and read since I was a very young child, it was very fresh to me this morning and there were details that just stuck out at me today. Let me list them for you:
1. I love the fact that we are told that an angel rolled away the stone and sat on it!
2. The guards fainted but Mary and Mary did not.
3. The angel told Mary and Mary that Jesus was going ahead of them into Galilee and to tell the disciples - this was just what Jesus told the disciples would happen!
4. Jesus met the women on their way to tell the disciples. He told them to tell the disciples that He would meet them in Galilee.
5. When the guards told the priests what happened, they were bribed to tell everyone that the disciples stole his body.
So many things to talk about, but this is just a blog post! Okay, first I want to say that it is this resurrection that we place all our hope in. Jesus' death on the cross was His mercy and forgiveness for us and He took our punishment on His shoulders. But His resurrection is the victory over death that He shares with us. There is no enemy that can keep Him in the grave!
Here's the thing, even though the priests heard the truth of His resurrection, they still refused to follow Jesus. In fact, they did everything they could to keep others from knowing what really happened. Think about that for a moment...even with the truth in front of them, they still refused to accept who Jesus is. And they also wanted to keep others from accepting the truth. This is a reality we still face today. Even though we have experienced and know that this victory and truth is life changing, the enemy doesn't want people to know. Don't be discouraged; God is greater and two thousand years later, He is still transforming lives through this incredible act of love and power. So, we continue to plant seeds knowing that it will not fall on fresh soil every time but we know that some seeds will fall on a heart that is ready and hungry for the truth. And when we see someone come to an understanding of God's love for them, there is nothing like it! No matter what lies circulate in this world, we still need to share our greatest hope with the world.