Tuesday, June 11, 2013

What Kind of Confirmation Is That?

When reading books written by some great teachers or leaders in the Christian faith, I have noticed a pattern - at one point in time they didn't feel up to the job God put before them.  In fact, I think if they were comfortable with the call God placed on their life, they probably didn't have a full picture of what the job would be.  I'm not saying that we cannot be confident in our call; God wants us to have confidence that He has prepared us for where we are now and He will prepare us for what is ahead.  He wants our confidence to be in Him.  When my mission team was discussing the feeling of being unprepared, one person pointed out that if we were feeling completely prepared for what was next in our lives, then we would be relying on ourselves and not giving the glory to God.  With that thought in mind, we can pretty much expect that if we are willing to follow God's lead we will given a task that seems so much bigger than ourselves.  This reminds us of Who is in charge and Who is empowering us.  Today, I want to start looking at Moses' call to lead the Israelites out of Egypt.  Please use the link and read Exodus 3.

We are not all going to have a burning bush moment in the literal sense; however, some of us hear God's call in a moment of revelation.  I know many pastors who felt and answered God's call to ministry at a moment at camp.  But that isn't the way it always works.  Some of us grow into our call and over a series of events feel a confirmation of what God wants us to do.  Confirmation is a wonderful thing...it is a comfortable thing.  I like comfortable; I like it a lot.  And I also like having clear confirmation, which is why a particular phrase in this chapter stuck out at me in big, bold letters.  In Exodus 3:12 (NLT) God said to Moses, “I will be with you. And this is your sign that I am the one who has sent you: When you have brought the people out of Egypt, you will worship God at this very mountain.”  Hmm...what kind of confirmation is that?

That is a confirmation that God gave Moses for after the fact.  This wasn't a confirmation that would help Moses right at that moment, this would confirm the call after he lead the people out of Egypt.  Perhaps God felt that the burning bush was confirmation enough for now, but either way don't you find it interesting that God would tell Moses a moment of confirmation would come after he did what he was told?  Knowing the story of Moses, I wonder if God knew that Moses would be distraught and would need the encouragement and confirmation when he was worshiping God on the mountain after the fact.  Either way, we see that the confirmation was neither something that Moses asked for but something God told him was in his future.

God wants our obedience and trust and He knows exactly what we need and will provide it right when we need it.  God knows when will need confirmation, and He will give it to us at the moment He ordained.  Sometimes the confirmation is clear and wonderful to give us confidence to take the first steps, but sometimes the confirmation comes while we are in the middle of what we are doing. Maybe it will come at a moment of despair.  Either way, we can know that He is with us and even if we feel unprepared He is fully and completely prepared.

Have you been waiting for confirmation?  Does God just want you to take a few steps of faith first?

This post is linked with Soli Deo Gloria.

2 comments:

  1. I loves my God. And He's always with me. Also in the gray days. He has never given me a reason to doubt. But when I see who I am: weak, tired, grumpy sometimes, discouraged about hard things ... I am afraid. Therefore I keep my eyes on Him. I look upon Jesus and try to walk with Him.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I love hearing your feedback.