Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Hiding From the Call

Something I've said repeatedly in this "Unprepared" study is the fact that God puts tasks in front of us that are bigger than us.  I don't know about you, but when that happens and we begin to grasp the reality of what we are about to step into, it is so tempting to say, "I quit!  I'm done.  I don't want to do this anymore."  Ever been there?  It is kind of like a woman in labor who gets to the point where she is in so much pain and is physically exhausted and wishes everything could stop.  I remember that feeling and turning to my husband saying, "I can't do this anymore."  But, that really didn't matter by that point; I was in and there was no turning back.  Each time I was in labor and told my husband that I was done, he would encourage me and tell me that I could do it.  His encouragement went a long way!  At some point in our call we get tired and scared and are sure that we can't do it and that is when we can rely on the body of believers to which we belong.  We can ask for the support of prayer when we need it.  This week, I've been looking at Saul's call to be king of Israel and today I want to specifically look at his reaction to Samuel's public proclamation of Saul's anointing.  Please use the link and read 1 Samuel 10:17-27.

Poor Saul was scared and God and Samuel were not going to let him off the hook!  Could you imagine being in his shoes?  You would go from working for your father on the farm to being king in one day.  That really would be daunting!  What was his response?  He hid among the supplies.  We can't hide from God and neither could Saul; he was brought before Israel and declared their first king.  One of the last verses in today's reading really stuck out at me because it is a good reminder that God gives us what we need through the church body.  1 Samuel 10:26 (NIV) says, "Saul also went to his home in Gibeah, accompanied by valiant men whose hearts God had touched."  

I want to share two things I noticed in that verse.  First, notice that Saul didn't go home alone after he was declared king.  He went home accompanied by valiant men.  The second thing is the fact that God had touched the hearts of the valiant men.  Why is that so important?  It is important because God made sure that Saul had the support he needed to fulfill his call.  God didn't make him go home alone.  Know this: God knows exactly what we really need and He will provide it for us right when we need it.  We can trust that we are never alone when we are serving God.  We are a part of a great family in Christ and we are to lift each other up.  There is nothing like knowing that we have a group of people lifting us up before God's throne in prayer.  Ephesians 4:16 (NIV) says, "From Him the whole body, joined and held together by every supporting ligament, grows and builds itself up in love, as each part does its work."  God gave us this body of believers to build each other up!

Do you turn to the support system God has given you to help you in your call?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I love hearing your feedback.