Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Your Servant Is Listening

When I call my kiddos, the main thing I want to see happen is them responding to me.  I want them to come from where they are to me so I can give them direction.  In fact, it is very frustrating when I have to call multiple times before I get a response; this is because I am their mom and they know my voice.  They understand my authority when I call.  As I continue on in my "Unprepared" study, one thing that has become clear is that God doesn't only call those who know Him.  Gideon is a wonderful example of that; He knew of God, but when God visited him he didn't recognize Him.  He knows each and every one of our hearts and He calls us accordingly.  Today, I want to skip quite a bit of history and go to 1 Samuel 3:1-10 and look at Samuel's call and his response.

When I read through these verses, I noticed something new today!  1 Samuel 3:7 (NIV) says, "Now Samuel did not yet know the LORD: The word of the LORD had not yet been revealed to him."  Isn't that interesting?  We are told that when God called him (literally), Samuel didn't yet know Him.  I want that to sink in your hearts for a moment.  This is because I believe there are a lot of people who compare themselves to someone doing big things with God and think that God called them because of their great faith in Him.  They believe that God will never use them in that way because they are not doing big things where they are or because they struggle with understanding the Bible.  I believe that is not true!

Look at Gideon and look at Samuel!  Neither one of them recognized God when He called!  God calls and seems to understand our unfamiliarity with Him.  And when He calls, He will make sure that we will eventually understand who is calling us.  His call doesn't necessarily have to do with our knowledge and understanding of God in that moment.  Our response should be very similar to Samuel's response:  your servant is listening.  In fact, I believe that when that is our response, our faith grows.

Do you believe God wants to use you no matter where you are in your walk with Him?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I love hearing your feedback.