Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Back Home



If you follow my blog regularly, you would have known that I had been preparing for a mission trip to Zambia this summer.  My husband and I had the opportunity to lead a team to Zambia and take our entire family.  So many of you had been praying for us as we prepared and while we were in the country of Zambia.  I am so happy to report that it was an amazing trip and we have made many new friends that we hope to see again some day.  We arrived home yesterday and had our first night back home.

I will provide you some updates of our trip over the next few weeks, but for today I would like to give you some things that I know I will be thinking about for months to come.  First of all, even though this is the second time I have been in Zambia, I was still amazed at the great faith of so many people I came in contact.  Their faith is what sustains so many people living such difficult day to day hardships.  I was also extremely humbled by how hard the teachers and children at the music academy worked at learning their instruments.  Their dedication to learning was so powerful and I had the opportunity to teach flute to a student who had only been playing for 6 months, yet he played as if he had been playing for about three years!

God overwhelmed me by showing me how He extravagantly loves the people we were working with; how extravagantly He loves everyone.  This is a truth I have always known; however, He allowed me to feel His love for the people with whom we rubbed shoulders.  I was also overwhelmed by the unnecessary injustices we humans create and how God just wants us to care enough to do something about it.  He has given each one of us skills and passions and wants us to use those skills and passions to serve others.  This is what the body of Christ is about - this is the purpose of the church.

Thank you for your many prayers - coming home I know that the prayers of our friends and family is what gave us exactly what we needed to do our job!  I will sign off today with Tonga words for God bless you:  Leza amuleleke.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I love hearing your feedback.