Tuesday, August 13, 2013

How To Finish?

Since coming home last Tuesday afternoon, I've been sorting through our trip to Zambia.  Admittedly, this has made it difficult to sort through how God wanted me to finish my "Unprepared" study.  One of the reasons that God had me going through this study was to prepare me for the mission trip.  He was preparing my heart and instilling His truths so that when I left the comfort of home I would be ready.  And now the trip is done, so how do I finish the study?  I've had many people ask me what God did in me on the trip and I have to honestly say that there is still just too much to sort through to answer such a huge question.  He did things in my heart as a wife, as a parent, as a team leader, and of course as an individual.  I really have to take time to sift through all those variables, and I know that as time goes on, God will be using this trip to continue to do His good work in me.

And that brings me back to today and struggling to know what to write!  Of course, before sitting down at the computer I spent time in prayer.  The thing with prayer is sometimes I hear God very clearly directing me to what He wants me to do and other times I feel like I'm unloading and the lesson from God will come later.  I'm sure all of you can relate.  So, as I prayed, I felt no direction except that I needed to sit down and focus and write.  That was okay, because I know that God would give me what I needed when the time was right.  I sat down at the computer and loaded up Biblegateway.com and saw the verse of the day:  Ephesians 2:10.  This is the verse that has been the inspiration to my "Unprepared" study!  "For we are God’s handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do." (NIV).

This is one of my life verses - this is a verse that provides so much truth and hope in what it means to follow Christ.  All the verses before Ephesians 2:10 map out the reality that it isn't by anything we have done, but it is by God's amazing grace that we are saved.  It is His unending love for us that has given us the gift of life - new life.  And the end result is the fact that we are God's masterpiece; we are the ones that God points to in order to show His grace and kindness for generations to come!  We are His standing stones; living stones that proclaim His glory and love.  We are to do good works.  Not just any works that we think would be nice; God prepared in advance the good works we are to do.  Think on that for a moment.  Each and every time you are serving Him with joy in your heart, it is because God created you to do it!

So, I guess the reason why I have no idea how to finish this study is because it is never really finished.  The good works don't end with one action.  The needs in this world will always be here.  There will always be people that need a touch by God through us.  The work will never be done until this world ends.  And God wants us to be a part of this incredible work; I think that is what amazes me the most.  And the most amazing thing of all - we will always feel an element of being unprepared because when we can admit that feeling, that is when God does an amazing work in us.

Never shirk from that unprepared feeling; embrace it and turn to God who is the One who can and will empower you to do what He planned for you so long ago.  You are His masterpiece.  He knows the good works He planned for you so long ago.

What is God calling you to do?

This post is linked with Soli Deo Gloria.

2 comments:

  1. The work is never finished....what a great relief from trying to end where it is I am suppose to be. Just the thought I needed for today!

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I needed it today, too! Thanks for visiting!

      Delete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I love hearing your feedback.