Thursday, August 8, 2013

Prayers of Hope



"I am here because someone is supporting me to be here."

Meet my new friend, J___.  J is a boy whose dad passed away and is now living in an orphanage because his mother could no longer support him.  He told me this himself and my heart was breaking so much inside as he formed the words.  But that wasn't the story that he wanted to define him.  He knows he has more to give the world and more potential to accomplish other things.

I met J at the Livingstone branch of the Choma Academy of Music.  It was our last afternoon at this particular academy and a bunch of children were just dropped off.  We were told that they were from a local children's home.  When J found me, I had no other students so we got to spend a little time alone.  He had only been playing the flute for seven weeks; however, he was already playing some music by ear.  I didn't have a lot of time to spend with him because our day was almost done, so a I gave him a few pointers and taught him how to play two octaves of the C Major scale.  That's right, after only seven weeks, he could play two octaves of a scale!  But then he wanted to show me what he could do and play a few songs by ear.  He wanted to show me that he was trying to learn how to harmonize on the flute by ear.  Such a sweet, hard working boy!

Thanks to a partnership with another organization, J is able to attend the Livingstone Branch of the Choma Academy of Music.  As we talked, he told me how much joy he has when he plays the flute and how much being at the academy means to him.  He also explained to me how his flute teacher has already arranged a few performance opportunities for him at a nice hotel.  God is using music to reach J's life and He used music to touch my heart and pray for J.

Hope.

No matter how you want to look at it, we all have someone supporting us.  Whether or not we are aware of it, there is someone out there lifting us up in prayer.  I had many people support our family financially and in prayer for this trip.  There were people praying for me to meet people just like J so I can pray for him.  You see, in a sense, there is more than just an organizational partnership happening for him to attend the school.  Because God connected us, there is a network of prayer being offered up to heaven on his behalf.  Prayers were being offered before we even knew we were praying for J.  How awesome is that!?

"Pray in the Spirit at all times and on every occasion. Stay alert and be persistent in your prayers for all believers everywhere."  Ephesians 6:18 (NLT).

Who are you praying for?  Will you join me in praying for J?

2 comments:

  1. I was so blown away on my trip by being able to pray for people. It's why they let me be the photographer, because I needed to be there to pray. My camera helped me to see each person as God sees them, and just knowing that I might be the only person to specifically pray for so many of them was incredibly humbling.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I love hearing your feedback.