Monday, August 19, 2013

Studying Psalms!

I am so excited to let you know that I am now starting a new study this week!  I am studying the book of Psalms; however, my plan is not to go through the entire book.  I am going through the book of Psalms and looking at the different themes we find in the book and looking at some Psalms that are in those themes.  I cannot even imagine how long of a study it would make to look at each and every Psalm on this blog!  Psalm 119 would be a study in and of itself!  

I felt led to go through Psalms late last week as I struggled to focus after going to Zambia.  I think this is because we experienced so much while we were in Zambia and I have so much to sort through.  We were saddened by the injustices we saw in poverty; we were amazed at God's work in people's lives; we rejoiced in seeing the joy that learning music brought to the students at the music academy; we were reminded of God's great creation in seeing Victoria Falls and many animals we do not have in the United States; we learned to rely on God's strength when we didn't have any of our own strength left.  I didn't have one thing that I could just focus on and that is when God put Psalms on my heart.  All those feelings are right there in Psalms and I want to explore how we can feel all those things with God as our focus.

This week, I plan to do an overview of Psalms and look at the history and any other information I may be able to find on the book.  Next week, I plan to dig in a take a look thematically at the book of Psalms.  I am excited to get started and as usual, I'm also nervous to tackle such a big topic(s).  I hope you stick around and join me and even extend the study on your own.  Let's pray that we all open our hearts to what God wants us to learn about Him and ourselves through the book of Psalms.
Oh, the joys of those who do not
follow the advice of the wicked,
or stand around with sinners,
or join in with mockers.
But they delight in the law of the Lord,
meditating on it day and night.
They are like trees planted along the riverbank,
bearing fruit each season.
Their leaves never wither,
and they prosper in all they do.

But not the wicked!
They are like worthless chaff, scattered by the wind.
They will be condemned at the time of judgment.
Sinners will have no place among the godly.
For the Lord watches over the path of the godly,
but the path of the wicked leads to destruction.  Psalm 1 (NLT) 
What beautiful promises given to those who care to learn God's ways!  While you read through these verses, list the promises that God gives to those who take the time to learn and meditate on what pleases Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I love hearing your feedback.