Monday, August 26, 2013

Why We Praise



Last week, our church challenged us to consider how we have experienced love, joy, peace, faith, and hope as a result of our relationship with Jesus.  It didn't take me too long to think about it because my relationship with Jesus has given me so much hope.  I have a hope because when Jesus sacrificed Himself and rose again defeating death, He chose to share that victory with anyone who believes.  This victory means that no matter what is happening in my life; I know that there is something so much bigger and better than myself for eternity and I get to be a part of that!  When I think of that it amazes me beyond what words can express.

Here is a simple thought but can remind us to praise God: God is big.  The thought is simple, but the reality is so complex because God is bigger than our human understanding can grasp.  But as we attempt to put our minds around God's greatness, we cannot help but praise Him for it.  This week, as I look at the book of Psalm, I want to spend time looking at some of the Psalms that draw our attention to the importance of praising God.  The Psalm that I am looking at today is Psalm 8, which brings our attention to the greatness of God.  Please use the link and read Psalm 8.

This is such an amazing Psalm because it starts out reminding us that God is so great that His name is majestic!  In fact, we are told that His name is majestic throughout the earth.  We are told that He is so great that the praise of children establish a stronghold against His enemy.  Think on that for a moment.  The praise of the young and small will establish a stronghold!  Isn't that amazing?  We are reminded that when we look to the sky, the stars are a reminder of His glory.  To be reminded that we are so small in comparison to the universe that our great God created, we begin to wonder how it is that He even notices us.  The above picture is the incredible sunset I saw last night (the camera didn't do it justice) and reminded me of God's artistry.  We are reminded of how ridiculous it is that God would bend down and intervene in our lives - even the smallest part of our lives.  But He does do it, and He is pleased to do it.  If that idea doesn't bring you to praise God, I honestly don't know what will.  God is great, and God is good!

Does this Psalm remind you why we praise God?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I love hearing your feedback.