Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Protection In His Presence

Today is one of those crazy days when my work and personal lives converge and make an extra busy day.  My work day alone is a crazy day today, but then my children and husband also have schedules that are a bit challenging.  With the both combined, I feel absolutely overloaded.  Even with all the craziness of the day, it started out so beautifully with God - He allowed me to feel peace this morning when I woke up and reminded me that I can seek Him throughout the day.  I guess it is no coincidence that I am looking at psalms that refer to the blessings of being in God's dwelling during one of my busiest weeks for work and home!  I think God has been giving me gentle reminders to keep seeking Him through it all and experience blessing instead of stress.  He is so good!  I want to quickly review some of the blessings that are promised to us when we seek God's presence:  comfort, experience God's unfailing love, shield, favor, goodness, joy, strength, and refreshment.  Oh, what amazing promises we can claim when we seek God!  I was reminded of some of my favorite verses (and very challenging verses) found in Isaiah 58.  These verses promise some amazing things when we seek to do the things that please God:
Then you will call, and the Lord will answer;
you will cry for help, and He will say: Here am I.
“If you do away with the yoke of oppression,
with the pointing finger and malicious talk,
and if you spend yourselves in behalf of the hungry
and satisfy the needs of the oppressed,
then your light will rise in the darkness,
and your night will become like the noonday.
The Lord will guide you always;
He will satisfy your needs in a sun-scorched land
and will strengthen your frame.

You will be like a well-watered garden,
like a spring whose waters never fail.
Your people will rebuild the ancient ruins
and will raise up the age-old foundations;
you will be called Repairer of Broken Walls,
Restorer of Streets with Dwellings."  Isaiah 58:9-12 (NIV) (italics added)
What a beautiful extension of what I looked at yesterday in Psalm 84 where we are told that we will bring up springs in the desert and travel from strength to strength!  We just need to seek Him and do what pleases Him.  Today, I want to look at what David had to say about seeking God's dwelling place; please use the link and read Psalm 27.

In this psalm, David expresses the fact that when we seek God's dwelling we are promised protection.  This protection doesn't necessarily mean that nothing bad will ever happen; after all, this psalm was written by a man who experienced a lot of danger and threats to his life.  Yet, we see that even during the threats he sought after God's presence knowing that there was nothing that could harm him there.  This is because David looked at protection far beyond the physical; he understood that no matter what happened on earth as long as he stayed in God's dwelling nothing could destroy his spirit.  God protects from the stronger enemies that we cannot see.  He understood the best place to be is God's house.

Do you seek after God's dwelling?  Do you trust in His protection?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I love hearing your feedback.