Monday, September 9, 2013

Remembering Helps Us Praise

Yesterday, I found myself in a conversation with someone at church where I was telling him of an incredible thing God had done in my family.  His response was to say that we need to be telling stories of God's work more often because it encourages the entire church body.  He is right!  I cannot tell you how many times I've been encouraged by stories other people have told me how God has worked in their lives.  In fact, there have been times when I have gone through a difficulty knowing that God was with me because I had heard the testimony of someone else telling me how God helped them through something similar.  Hearing these stories are what has helped build my faith and trust in God's provision, healing, and protection all the more.  As I continue looking at the book of Psalms, I want to spend time this week looking at psalms that remind us of God's goodness.  These are the psalms that were written specifically to remind us during difficult times of God's loving care.  Please use the link and read Psalm 9.

This is another psalm written by David and as we read through it, we see that this was written during a difficult time.  But, notice the first thing David wrote:  "I will praise you, Lord, with all my heart; I will tell of all the marvelous things you have done."  Even during times of difficulty and oppression, David continued to praise God and declare all the good things God has done.  I think this serves a couple of purposes.  First, it helps our overall attitude when we are facing difficulties; it helps us remember that there is a bigger picture and God is still with us.  When we can remember to praise God no matter what is happening around us, we are reminded of His greatness.  The second thing this does is it reminds the people around us of God's faithfulness even during difficult times.

Part of living in this broken world means that there will be suffering and oppression; however, it doesn't mean we are abandoned.  This psalm clearly speaks of promises that God will never forget the oppressed and needy.  In fact, we are told that the hope we have in God's salvation is what sustains us.  When we remember His goodness, His faithfulness, and the hope we have in Christ we can have endurance.  We know that no matter what, our faith in Christ is our salvation and gives us hope for eternity.

Do you remember the good things God has done in you and in others?  Does that help sustain you through your difficulties?

This post is linked with Sharing His Beauty.

1 comment:

  1. Dear Sharon
    Even in the midst of great trials we can always be so grateful and praise our Pappa for His unfathomable love and goodness!
    Blessings XX
    Mia

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I love hearing your feedback.